Menu

Great to see PLPlot doing well

ijourneaux
2014-09-01
2014-09-01
  • ijourneaux

ijourneaux - 2014-09-01

I was just about to resusitate an old (and I mean 1994 kind of old) project of mine that was based on PLPLOT when I though I would do a web search just to confirm the current state of affairs. Wow. Great to see PLPlot still exists and is go strong. When I was inthe Chemical Engineering department at McGill University, I had worked on converting PLPLOT, which was fortran based at the time, to C. After graduating, I continued to use PLPlot in BorlandC and BorlandC++ for a variety of projects. Stopped actively usinbg PLPlot it early 2000s.

Still doing development in Windows with a focus on data analysis.

I noticed that there isn't a native windows distribution. Does anyone have the steps required to compile under with Visual Studio? I am sure I can figure it out but it would be nice to be able to jump start my new project using plplot. Now I just have to get rid of the plplot cobwebs. It has been a long time. <grin>

• Hazen Babcock

Hazen Babcock - 2014-09-01

On 9/1/2014 2:46 PM, ijourneaux wrote:

I was just about to resusitate an old (and I mean 1994 kind of old) project of mine that was based on PLPLOT when I though I would do a web search just to confirm the current state of affairs. Wow. Great to see PLPlot still exists and is go strong. When I was inthe Chemical Engineering department at McGill University, I had worked on converting PLPLOT, which was fortran based at the time, to C. After graduating, I continued to use PLPlot in BorlandC and BorlandC++ for a variety of projects. Stopped actively usinbg PLPlot it early 2000s.

Still doing development in Windows with a focus on data analysis.

I noticed that there isn't a native windows distribution. Does anyone have the steps required to compile under with Visual Studio? I am sure I can figure it out but it would be nice to be able to jump start my new project using plplot. Now I just have to get rid of the plplot cobwebs. It has been a long time. <grin>

I believe that the instructions on the PLplot wiki are more or less up
      to date on how to compile with Visual Studio.

http://www.miscdebris.net/plplot_wiki/index.php?title=Configure_PLplot_for_the_Visual_Studio_IDE

-Hazen

• ijourneaux

ijourneaux - 2014-09-01

Thanks for the directions to the wiki. I think I am at least started. Running into several defines related errors
    for instance WIN32 is not defined. VS uses _WIN32
    Got the examples built. They are the same ones from way back when. Great to see them show up.
    Ian