Close

Mandatory field indicator

Developers
2010-06-18
2013-04-25
  • Mike Metcalfe

Mike Metcalfe - 2010-06-18

Hi,

Is there an easy way to indicate to the user that a field is mandatory of their (like plone has the little red square)?

Mike

• Jean Jordaan

Jean Jordaan - 2010-06-18

Put an asterisk next to it on the form in edit mode.
    Or put all the mandatory fields in a kupu table with a tinted background and a Required Fields heading.
    Or customize skins/cmfplomino_templates/Fields.pt and/or skins/cmfplomino_templates/TEXTFieldEdit.pt etc to put the asterisk there for you.

• Jean Jordaan

Jean Jordaan - 2010-06-18

It would be good if Plomino added a "mandatory" CSS class to such fields, so that you could supply a CSS file to put the red block or the asterisk there.

• Eric Brehault

Eric Brehault - 2010-06-18

well, that is not the Plomino approach, Plomino forms are edited in WYSIWYG mode, the form generator just focuses on the fields themselves, the rest (labels, layout, etc…) is unchanged, so the author manage it exactly the way he wants

if you need a marker to indicate mandatory fields, you do it in the form layout using the rich text editor

Eric

• Jean Jordaan

Jean Jordaan - 2010-06-20

Yes, the rich text editor rules, but I don't see the harm in useful CSS hooks in the generated forms. Both for styling, and for when you want to bind Javascript behaviour to certain elements or element classes.

• Eric Brehault

Eric Brehault - 2010-06-22

that's true, I like the idea
    we will do that

eric

• Mike Metcalfe

Mike Metcalfe - 2010-06-22

On the form layout, I've been adding the following span to make the look and feel consistent with the rest of plone:
    <span class="fieldRequired" title="Required"> (Required) </span>