#232 Basic header files missing from player source

closed
player (137)
5
2009-01-03
2008-06-17
No

I've been trying to compile various versions of player 2.04 - 2.1.1 on an older Debian distro (Sarge). During compile I get errors about not being able to find basic C functions like memset, malloc, realloc, strtok, etc. After adding the appropriate header files to the source files in question things compile fine. Why is it that these head files were left out in the first place? There are quite a few files that required attention and it made compiling player quite time consuming.

Discussion

  • Adheer Chauhan

    Adheer Chauhan - 2008-06-25

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=2128414
    Originator: NO

    Hi,
    I am having the same problem as you did. I am trying to compile the player-2.1.1 package and I'm getting weird declaration errors and I think this could be because of missing header files. Can you tell me what header files you installed to fix this problem.
    Thanks,
    Adheer

     
  • Rodrigo Gutierrez

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=2121245
    Originator: YES

    Adheer,

    I did two things to get player to compile on Debian Sarge. First I disabled as many of the features that I could during configuration. Then while it's making the binaries you have to edit the source files that it throws errors on. So for instance if it complains about memset in some particular source file then you will need to include string.h in that file. It's a tedious process but I was able to get something that mostly worked.

    As a warning though, I don't think this is an ideal approach. I was trying to use player with a Pioneer 2AT robot that I have been working on, and player kept crashing the Pioneer Aria software. I eventually resorted to installing Ubuntu 8.1 Server. Now I have no problems.

     
  • Richard Vaughan

    Richard Vaughan - 2008-07-15

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=139639
    Originator: NO

    "Why is it that these head files were left out in the first place?"

    That's because the effects you see do not occur on any of the multiple OSs and distros on which the build was tested. It looks like Sarge has an unusual layout of header files.

    It's impossible for Brian or the other mainainers to test on every old platform, and the mechanism that Free Software uses to get these things right is bug reports like this. If you consider the difficulty of writing our code on our machines and giving it to you to run on your machine, you might imagine it's quite time consuming for the developers, too.

     
  • Toby Collett

    Toby Collett - 2008-08-30

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=974361
    Originator: NO

    Without a specific list of headers (and the files that need them) or even better a patch there is little we can do here. This bug will be closed shortly if no more information is provided

     
  • Toby Collett

    Toby Collett - 2009-01-03

    the latest gcc was a lot more picky about headers than previous versions which may have lead to these issues, hopefully they have been sorted not in svn trunk and 2-1 branch. Please reopen with the specific build errors if you are still having problems.

     
  • Toby Collett

    Toby Collett - 2009-01-03
    • status: open --> closed
     

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:





No, thanks