OS x leopard breaks pixie?

Help
kbraun
2009-04-18
2013-04-25
  • kbraun

kbraun - 2009-04-18

Hello!

I used pixie a few years ago and jad fun playing with the supplied  example pmap 'cornell room'. Today I downloaded 2.2.5 and unpacked, along with fink, libtiff, etc. I also recompiled the shaders and re-downloaded the pmap example ribs. When I try to render I get:

./Pmap_render_pass1.rib (24): Parameter "trace" is not declared
    ./Pmap_render_pass1.rib (28): Type mismatch for parameter "transmission" (expecting integer, found string)

I'd appreciate if someone could help. I am out of ideas.

Thank you.

KB

• Richard Layman

Richard Layman - 2009-04-18

I had the same problem and it turns out that the raytracing commands have been changed.

Replace the raytracing rib commands with this:

Attribute "visibility" "specular" [1]
      Attribute "visibility" "diffuse" [1]
      Attribute "trace" "bias" 0.2
      Attribute "visibility" "transmission" [1]

If that doesn't work, post the rib and I can check to see if it works on my system.

• kbraun

kbraun - 2009-04-19

Hey Richard,

Thank you for taking the time. The ribs I am trying to render are the ones at the pixie website, the examples showing the famous "cornell room" with red and green walls. There are 3 ribs that make up the render. You rndr the first one, which doesn't actually produce an image, then you rndr the second and you get an image, then you rndr the third and get the great looking image.
      The ribs are called:
      Pmap_render_pass0.rib
      Pmap_render_pass1.rib
      Pmap_render_pass2.rib

Have you been able to render them?

Thank you again.
      KB

• Richard Layman

Richard Layman - 2009-04-19

Yea, those were the ones that I had problems with too; not all the files have been updated. From what I understand Renderman changed the raytracing command calls and Pixie then changed to keep it compliant.

Here is an example of point based color blending that works fine on my system (it tends to work and look a lot better then photon maps):
      http://www.paradiseva.com/problems/pb_color_blending.tar

All the shaders are included. There are only two rib files - bake.rib and render.rib, render in this order. There are no shadows, but that's easily fixed.... I just didn't add them.

There are several examples on the wiki that need to be updated, but I can't really complain because I could do it myself.

Let me know if you're having any problems.

• kbraun

kbraun - 2009-04-21

Hey Richard,

Thank you for being generous.  Question: as you say you didn't include shadows, is that the reason for the render not showing diffuse inter-reflection between the sphere and the floor? The spheres interact with walls/ceiling beautifully, how do I get the floor into the equation?

Fun stuff.

KB

• Richard Layman

Richard Layman - 2009-04-22

I think the author's intentions were to show how the point based color blending worked and nothing more, so they left out some things that you would normally do in a final render. There are lots of ways to get the desired look, I got this image - <image>http://www.paradiseva.com/problems/comp.jpg</image>
      by using this setup:
      http://www.paradiseva.com/problems/pbgl.tar

I got the image by rendering out the passes and them comping them together. Even though the image look alright, if I had time, I would've added an occlusion pass on top of the normal shadows to get a smooth transition between the light and dark areas. I kind of prefer to do my renderings in passes when I can so I can tweak it, but not everyone likes to do it that way and there are many different ways to do pass rendering. This was just a quick example of how you can get the GI look using passes, but I'm sure there's a way to do it without comping.

• kbraun

kbraun - 2009-04-22

Yes, occlusion pass, that's what's missing.  Where can I find the syntax for these updated Pixie features, since Pixie documentation is out of date? I don't want to bug you every time I can't get a command to work.

Thanks again.

KB

• Richard Layman

Richard Layman - 2009-04-22

I kind of have a full plate at the moment, so it may take a couple of days before I'll have a chance to post you a rib, but here is a link to a working example of occlusion in Pixie:
      http://www.renderpixie.com/pixiewiki/Documentation/Point_based_GI

Occlusion tends to work best with HDRI lighting since HDR images have a very soft light feel to them. For the cornell box example I would probably do a shadow pass with soft shadows since this the lighting is so direct, but occlusion works really good too. There's tons of ways of doing this; this is only one.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks