Regular shadowmap blurring not implemented?

2009-07-05
2013-04-25
  • Raphael Sebbe

Raphael Sebbe - 2009-07-05

Hi all,

just doing some tests these days, and I cannot get shadow map blurring to work properly. Is it not implemented or did I screw my setup somehow? I noticed mention of soft raytraced shadows on the wiki, as well as soft shadows when using deep shadowmaps, but no info on regular shadow maps.

shadow("myshadow.map", Ps, "samples", 32, "blur", 0.05) // samples and blur have no effect.

Thanks,

Raphael

• Richard Layman

Richard Layman - 2009-07-10

I've added a tutorial for soft shadow maps on the wiki. You won't see it on the main page because I suck at wiki (someone who knows more about wiki is more then free to fix it), but you'll see it on the tutorial page. Any problems, let me know.

• Raphael Sebbe

Raphael Sebbe - 2009-07-11

Hi, thanks for the tutorial.

It is very similar to what I did before, however, I experience exactly the same thing with your .sl/.rib combination. I can't get the same image as the one on the tutorial page, but instead I get a shadow with no blur, and artifacts on the ground plane (I guess the bias param is not taken into account).

Could you confirm your tutorial works with recent version of Pixie? (I did test it with both package 2.2.6 and svn/trunk with the same result). My setup is a Mac (pixie running in 32-bit).

http://www.creaceed.com/downloads/temp/softshad.png

Thank you,

Raphael

• Richard Layman

Richard Layman - 2009-07-11

I did all my tutorials with 2.2.5 on a Linux 64bit machine, so something might of got broke in the newest version or between platforms. I'll do a test with the latest version and see if they still work; if they do, then it's a platform issue.

From the image you supply, it looks like none of the params after the first two are not even being looked at so it could be a parsing issue. I haven't messed with Pixie's source so I'll not sure.

• Richard Layman

Ok, I downloaded the 2.2.6 source and built a rpm. I recompiled the shader, rendered the shadowmap, and rendered the final image - all worked fine and came out as they should. This means this must be a Mac thing... or a 32 bit thing. Since I don't have a 32 bit machine, it's kind've hard for me to see which one, but I tend to think it's just a Mac issue.

• Richard Layman

One thing you might what to try is to uninstall you're current version of Pixie and start going down the versions until you find which version works. This is a pain in the butt, but would make it a little easier on the developer because they could do a diff between the versions to see what's changed. Just an idea.

• Raphael Sebbe

Raphael Sebbe - 2009-07-11

I finally tracked this down. In the soft shadow tutorial, the problem is in the light shader in the render pass.
        It is "shadowspot", should be "softshadowspot". Otherwise it is using the one from the Pixie distribution...
        [ and I had a similar problem in my previous setup ]

Thank you!

Raphael

• Richard Layman

Sorry about that; things got messed up while I was cut-n-pasting the files. I put the softshadow ine in the shadow pass and left the older line in the render pass. I don't how I managed that, but I somehow found a way. It's fixed now and should work fine.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks