Menu

sdrc.exe Does not work on Windows XP64

Atom
2009-06-17
2013-04-25
  • Atom

Atom - 2009-06-17

HI All,

I downloaded Pixie 2.26 and wanted to try it out on Windows XP64. But sdrc.exe crashes on launch so I can not compile my shaders.

I don't know if this is the right place to report this bug, but I am letting the community know that Pixie effectively does not work on Windows XP64.

I would love to give Pixie a try, but I am dead in the water...

• Dusan Maliarik

Dusan Maliarik - 2009-06-17

I would basically recommend to not use almost 10 years old OS, but you probably have your reasons.

Have you tried to build from source on the machine/OS where you want it to run? If not, get GNU toolchain (gcc,automake,..) and try to build and run, if that will not help, report back, we'll try something different.

Good luck :)

PS: easiest way to get it -> cygwin

• Keerati

Keerati - 2009-06-22

I got the same problem on WindowsXP. So, I've tried the older release (2.2.1) and it works fine. I think it is a bug of version 2.2.6

• Alex

Alex - 2009-12-15

skrat2e, it's quite unlikely that it's the OS's fault.

XP64 is a modern version of NT, the same as XP32, Vista, Win7. If a program crashes, it's because it's got a bug. It might be touching the wrong memory, who knows. The OS is killing the process, as it should.

• Alex

Alex - 2009-12-15

I did a quick investigation on what the problem might be.
    It's related to manifests.

1. Pixie was compiled against version **9.0.30729.1** of the CRT. So you need the 2008 VC++ redistributable.
    2. But that still won't help you, because Pixie was *also* compiled against the **debug** version of the CRT, which *cannot be redistributed*. This is why it works on developer's machines, but not end users.

To the developers:
    Take a look at:

D:\Pixie-win-2.2.6\Pixie\bin>dumpbin /dependents sdrc.exe
        Microsoft (R) COFF/PE Dumper Version 8.00.50727.42
        Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Dump of file sdrc.exe

File Type: EXECUTABLE IMAGE

Image has the following dependencies:

KERNEL32.dll
            MSVCR90D.dll  <- this is not fine.
            MSVCR90.dll   <- this is ok.

Summary

3000 .data
                A000 .rdata
                1000 .rsrc
               2B000 .text

You must not compile Pixie with /MDd for release builds (or any of its dependencies) if you wish for it to work on end user machines.

• Alex

Alex - 2009-12-15

Err, rather the exact version of the CRT is **9.0.21022.8**, not 9.0.30729.1 as I previously stated. But you still need the 2008 version of the redist.

(I wish I could edit posts.)

• Atom

Atom - 2012-06-07

@scorp007:Thanks for discovering the reason why sdrc.exe does not work on non-developer machines on Windows.

I tried copying the DLL file to my non-developer laptop and running regsv32.exe on the DLL. this produced an error message about a manifest. It used to be that you could just hand register DLLs. It looks like Windows has changed and it seems more complicated.

Is there a solution for this? My personal  reference to a manifest is what is in the cargo hold of a ship. Is a manifest a file that I can download somewhere?

It looks like we need a new "official" compiled for the masses kind of release for Pixie on the Windows platform.

Is any one up to the challenge?

• Atom

Atom - 2012-06-07

Just an FYI: I tried Pixie 2.2.5 and sdrc.exe  works on my laptop where 2.2.6 does not.
    So I am not sure exactly what I am losing by going back a version but at least I can keep rendering.