Is there a ray tracer for physicists?

  • sylvanus

    sylvanus - 2011-09-18

    Is there a ray tracer for physicists? for rigorous research purpose?

    Hi, I am an half physicist and half electrical engineer.

    I am a newbie of computer graphics. I found out that the ray tracers are for computer graphics, so that the computer can render some objects with the right color.

    However, what I am looking for is not for that purpose, but it's about cumputer simulation of what really happens when some bunch of rays which is radiated by a Transmit antenna hits upon the  aircraft.

    In other words, I want to shoot and track the bounced off rays from an aircraft fuselage. The aircraft CAD data is in IGES form.

    So far I could not find any ray tracer which calculates all the diffracted, double reflected, reflected-diffracted, and creeping rays.

    I would be very appreciated if you recommand any relavent ray tracer with easy use for a noob like me.


    Kee Ung

  • Hibou57

    Hibou57 - 2011-10-31

    You should search for Unbiased Renderer.

    I believe Indigo and Maxwell may be worth to try for you.
    There may be others, these are just the only two ones I know of.

    Note these are not necessarily raytracer only, as raytracing is not modeling everything. If I'm not wrong, photons expose some uncertainty in their physical behaviors.


Log in to post a comment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks