Unable to open preferences dialog

JDay
2005-05-12
2013-04-16
  • JDay

JDay - 2005-05-12

I was finally able to get this running, but I get the following error when I try to open the preferences:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/home/user/Misc/ABC/abc.py", line 1372, in OnMenuABCOption
        dialog = ABCOptionDialog(self)
      File "/home/user/Misc/ABC/Dialogs/abcoption.py", line 1525, in __init__
        self.miscPanel = MiscPanel(self.splitter, self)
      File "/home/user/Misc/ABC/Dialogs/abcoption.py", line 257, in __init__
        self.language_choice = wx.ComboBox(self, -1, defaultlang, wx.Point(-1,-1), wx.Size(-1,-1), self.language_names, wx.CB_DROPDOWN|wx.CB_READONLY)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.5.3-gtk2-unicode/wx/_controls.py", line 564, in __init__
        newobj = _controls_.new_ComboBox(*args, **kwargs)
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe7 in position 4: ordinal not in range(128)

And if I try to load a torrent by invoking ABC from my web browser, I get the following error (loading from a file works fine):

Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x1be9)!

Also, could the developer include "#!/usr/bin/python" at the top of abc.py for us UNIX folk? It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that I had to manually run python for this. And would it be possibly to integrate the GTK file chooser for a Linux version? That would be neat.

• Timothy Tucker

Timothy Tucker - 2005-05-12

I'll go ahead and stick #!/usr/bin/python in abc.py -- that's a pretty easy change.

The preferences issue sounds like the unicode build of wxPython isn't liking at least one of the language name strings in one of the language files -- try running with only english.lang in the lang directory and see if that works.  If it does, try readding language files until you get the error again -- that should tell you which file the problem is in.

Regarding some of the other issues, I currently don't have a Linux system to test on, so it's somewhat difficult.  I may wind up with one later in the summer, but I'm not 100% sure on that yet.

• JDay

JDay - 2005-05-12

Thanks for the quick reply. I apparently needed to simply change the encoding for the French file to UTF-8 (or remove it). I'm not sure if it'll be possible to use the GTK chooser, yet, since ABC is written in wxpython, which is (I think) filtered through pygtk on Linux, so it may require changes in linux's wxpython. It's a bit of a pain to have to manually load each torrent but I can live with it. Just happy to be able to use ABC again!

• Timothy Tucker

Timothy Tucker - 2005-05-13

Have you tried seeing if drag-and-drop is working under Linux?  If it is, then you should be able to drop multiple torrents into the main window at once.

• JDay

JDay - 2005-05-13

Yeah, drag and drop works fine, but I still have to:
          1) Launch ABC
          2) Save the torrent(s)
          3) Open the torrent(s)

...rather than doing all this in one step from my browser.

• JDay

JDay - 2005-05-12

Actually, it appears I do have to *remove* the French file.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks