Download speed

Help
Hambone
2004-03-09
2013-04-16
  • Hambone

Hambone - 2004-03-09

Hello, I am rather new, even though upon reading the FAQ, Im unclear on how it works.

I have ABC installed, and currently downloading..however it is in the "Yellow" and I'm already through 75% of the download is it is, had to leave the computer on throught the night, and perhaps by mid to later afternoon the 300+Mb download should be complete.

It downloads at the speed of a 56K modem, from 1.7 to like 5.0Kbps, kinda stinks when you're on High Speed Cable (3.0 Download, 516 upload)

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what kind of setting are needed to increase this dowload..I am also behind a Linksys Router and Norton Internet Security, however I think NIS Automatically set ABC up to connect, because everytime I install a new program that connects to the net, and I execute it, NIS pops up a message saying if I want to use the application for access to the net or not, and I check the box for "Indefinate" connection for ABC.

• Hambone

Hambone - 2004-03-09

Also...

I've read people with the same issues, seems they've tried everything to increase their speed, but had no success...wonder if I should even bother trying.

• Harold Feit

Harold Feit - 2004-03-09

http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html

NIS may allow it for connect, but it needs to be allowed for Serve as well.

The linksys router also needs to have ports forwarded.

• Hambone

Hambone - 2004-03-09

Hm...interesting.

How can I set up my NIS to "Serve others" and how do I do port forwarding on my Linksys Router?

I know how to access it through inserting the IP of it in my browser, but how do I actually forward the ports?

DOes doing so allow others access to this particular application and if so, how?

• Hambone

Hambone - 2004-03-09

Again...

I found how to get to my port fowarding but can't figure how to utilize it with "ABC".

Apparently typical applications FTP is port 25...
      HTTP is 80..etc.

But what of ABC?

I have a screen shot of my set up, currently I don't have Port forwarding set up at all on my router:

http://www.hambone-cs.com/portforwarding.gif

By looking at this, see what needs to go where?

• Harold Feit

Harold Feit - 2004-03-09

ABC needs 6881-6999 TCP.

Some routers will require that your machine have a static IP address outside of the range assigned by it.

• Harold Feit

Harold Feit - 2004-03-09

as for NIS, with a router present, you don't need it at all.

• Hambone

Hambone - 2004-03-09

I have fowarded my ports, and now....I am in the "GREEN"

Seems the speed is a "Little" bit faster, lets see at:

Its now between 13-15Kpbs...

Is that par?

• Harold Feit

Harold Feit - 2004-03-10

under ideal configuration settings, you should be getting your full download capability worth of download.

The next thing to do is adjust your upload speed so that download packets can be acknowledged.
      setting the max upload to 80% of your line's rated speed should be enough

• Joseph Williamson

I am getting a fluctuating rate of DL Speed from 13.8 to 54.4 KB/s,and a fluctuating rate of UL Speed from 40.6 to 105.3 KB/s. This range is between two files on download. Apparently your program can't do more than two files at once. I have not port forwarded as of yet,being that this (I guess, for ABC) isn't really a bad overall rate?!
    So, if some one here could respond to this,I'd really appreciate it.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks