ABC_OKC creates same-named folders

Help
moutager
2010-07-02
2013-04-16
  • moutager

moutager - 2010-07-02

First of all, thanks for updating and sticking with ABC_OKC. It is still my primary bittorrent client and I enjoy it. However, a couple of days ago it started showing some window after I would add in a torrent to start downloading. The window said something like there's a folder already named the same in the destination and would I like to rename the folder, still download in the same destination, or skip.

This was the first time I downloaded these files, and had nothing named the same. I later found out that ABC_OKC was automatically naming the folders after the parent folder in which I was downloading to. For example, in my Music folder it would create another folder called "Music" - on my desktop it would name the folder "Desktop." Before it would just name the folder after the torrent name.

This could have happened after I updated to a newer version (before 3.10.2 434), and I did update to the newest version available but it's still doing it. I also haven't messed with my settings in a very long time, and certainly not with the naming of my folders. I'm using Windows 7 64 Bit, but haven't had this problem until a couple of days ago, long after I have upgraded my OS.

Any suggestions? I will also try emailing the author according to the "About" menu item.

Oh, and I also want to mention that closing ABC_OKC takes away the window and tray menu, but still has it's .exe file open in my task manager.

• kratoak5

kratoak5 - 2010-07-09

Thank you for your support !

Have you any .log files in your %APPDATA%\ABC_OK directory ?
    If you have, paste their content in your reply.

About the destination auto-renaming  feature :
    It will trigger when adding a torrent while another torrent with the same destination folder already exists in the torrent list. But the folders are not necessarily already created on disk if the torrents have not yet been started.
    You can choose the behavior in Preferences/Misc : silently auto-renaming, ask users for a new destination name, or silently keeping the duplicate destination name.

Now about what triggered the renaming destination dialog :
    So if I understand, every torrent containing a folder you add into ABC_OKC has its own destination folder name set to the name of the folder you are using as your default destination folder. Right ? Rather strange…
    Were the added torrents real torrents or magnets ?
    Is your option Preferences/Misc/"Keep name and destination from magnet URLs"  checked ?
    Have you got the problem for all newly added torrents or only for one ?
    When you have the renaming dialog, if you click on "keep destination" to add the torrent, is the torrent name listed in the "Torrent name" column of the list right or does it show the destination folder parent name ?
    Did the problem occur from the first torrent you added after upgrading to ABC_OKC 3.10.2 ? For now I don't see anything that could have changed from 3.10.1 to 3.10.2 about destination folder names…
    What release were you you using  before 3.10.2 ?

About ABC_OKC task not terminating, it could be linked with your problem.

• kratoak5

kratoak5 - 2010-07-09

Ok, I was able to reproduce the problem. You don't need to make all above tests !
    Apparently the problem only occurs when you have no default download folder (Preferences/Misc/"Use default…" unchecked).

Working to fix it….

• moutager

moutager - 2010-07-09

Thank you for all of your support, and I did try much of the suggestions that you gave in the first post before coming here for help, but had no progress.

For now, I will just use a default download folder and deal with moving the files later (which did work out when trying it out tonight). I appreciate the fact that you took the time to reproduce the problem and such.

Anywho, if there are any questions you had I will be happy to try to answer them - otherwise I'll be looking forward to the new update!

• kratoak5

kratoak5 - 2010-07-09

Fixed in last release 3.10.3

• moutager

moutager - 2010-07-09

Tried the new release and it works now without needing a default downloading destination. Also, it shuts down correctly now.

Thanks!

• kratoak5

kratoak5 - 2010-07-14

For the problem of ABC_OKC not exiting correctly :
    This problem appeared when I switched to wxPython 2.8.11 in ABC_OKC 3.10.1.
    I found out that with this release of wxPython, iconizing ABC_OKC to the tray would then prevent ABC_OKC from completely exiting.
    I think this is a bug in this release of wxPython.
    I switched back to wxPython 2.8.10.1 and everything is OK.
    This fix and some improvements to the exit code are available in release 3.10.4.

• moutager

moutager - 2010-07-14

Thanks. I thought it was fixed with the latest release, but I guess that was just luck at the time. I noticed later that it wasn't closing properly at other times.