Some month ago I introduced translatable texts for "gaim --help" and
Unfortunately the output of the translated text is often unreadable.
The problem is, that Gaim's *.po files have the UTF-8 locale (because
this is the default charset for GTK+ 2.0). But the users may have
configured other locales. For instance my SuSE Linux 9.0 system is
configured with LANG=3Dde_DE@... "euro" is ISO-8859-1 (Western
character set, 8 Bit, with the Euro currency symbol). Lots of UTF-8
characters are unreadable if they are displayed in a 8 Bit charset
without conversion. Only the 7 Bit chars are displayed right.
There are two possible solutions:
1) Make the console texts untranslatable. This isn't very clever.
2) Convert the texts from UTF-8 to user's locale.=20
I choose the second solution.
The conversion cannot be made during the translation, because gettext
does not allow a mix of different character sets in one po-file.
My patch converts the console strings from UTF-8 to users locale.
Normally this works right, because most users have a locale which is
compatible with their language.
The case where a user uses a language (for instance German:
LANG=3Dde_DE) with an incompatible character set (for instance the 7Bit
charset LC_CTYPE=3DC) is also handled. The user then sees a warning and
the original UTF-8 message.
At first I tried to make a new UTF-8 function in src/util.c. But the
function is needed 5 times in src/gaim-remote.c and 2 times in
src/main.c. gaim-remote is not linked against util.o. Also there are a
lot of dependencies from util.o to other files, so I will introduce a
lot of trouble to link gaim-remote against util.o.
So I only wrote a function in src/gaim-remote.c and used the UTF-8
conversion inline in src/main.c.
Please check, if this solution is ok.
Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.