the current gaim-gnomemeeting plugin (see plugin tracker or ml archives)
is too limited to be really useful:
* the local user has to enter the uri of the remote user by hand ;
* the remote user must have already launched its own audio/video client.
A better use would be:
* local invites remote to an audio/video call ;
* remote accepts ;
* the call begins.
This will allow to pass the uri to call automatically, and make sure
both sides have their client ready for use.
All of this will need some cooperation between gaim and the audio/video
client. I am an official gnomemeeting developper, and I would like to
work on making it possible.
The important things to keep in mind are:
* be as little intrusive as possible in gaim ;
* not make the hooks gnomemeeting-specific: there should be a nice,
clean interface to which other audio/video clients can hook ;
* portability matters.
Here is how I think things could work:
1) a voip-client plugin will make known to the rest of gaim that voip is
available (through some signal?), and tell the local voip-uri ;
2) the protocol plugins that support it will advertize the feature (if
it's possible with the protocol) ;
3) the same prpls will also add a contact menu option to invite to voip
calls (always present or only if remote is able to -- depends on the
4) the same prpls will be able to treat invitations (send them,
accept/refuse them, pass them to the voip-client plugin to make the
Hopefully this doesn't mean any change to the core of gaim, only light
changes to the prpls which will support it and none to the others. I'm
ready to write a plugin to make gnomemeeting available as voip-client in
gaim, and of course modify gnomemeeting to make it possible to use it
Snark on #gnomemeeting and #gaim
Well, one can't say there was a lengthy discussion on the topic :-/
Here is a proposition for a very simple api that would take care of the
"presence" part of the feature ; it involves two new signals, sent by
the voip-connector plugin to the prpls:
- "voip-enabled" (comes with a string: the uri to use to call us) ;
- "voip-disabled" (comes with nil).
They would make it possible for the prpl to broadcast that local is able
to do voip calls, and export the corresponding uri as part of our
I would really like to know if prpl maintainers want to cooperate on
this (ie: either write patches for their prpls or just accept patches
about it) ; I wouldn't like to write code with no chance to ever get
Snark on #gaim and #gnomemeeting