Menu

Incorrect Username or password

Holly
2021-10-23
2022-06-19
  • Holly

Holly - 2021-10-23

Hi, All of a sudden I am receiving 'Incorrect Username or password' in pidgin for my gmail account. I've tried all my existing passwords, changed the google password, uninstalled/reinstalled Pidgin to the latest version 2.14.8. The new version automatically remembers my account settings; I thought maybe a clean slate would have helped. Protocol is set to XXMP, domain = gmail.com. I've been using Pidgin for years and just want to see my buddy list :)

I also tried creating an account with my original Hotmail account, which is the same as the gmail account, but that says 'Unable to connect' . Available at the bottom is green but there are no buddies, not can any be added.

Last edit: Holly 2021-10-23
  • Holly

Holly - 2021-10-24

Fixed. Not sure exactly what fixed the issue. We uninstall Pidgin, removed and any registry items (several times). reinstalled (several times), deleted all accounts (several times). The next day I reinstalled the DLL's for Facebook plugin. Recreated xmpp and facebook accounts. Surprise it connected to both passwords.

• Holly

Holly - 2021-11-14

Welp, I'm stuck again. Worked for a few weeks. I can login to gmail and google with the same password but not Pidgin. I'd really like to fix this. Wondering if it has to do with all the dual authentication stuff or internet provider.

• Gary Kramlich

Gary Kramlich - 2021-11-15

This sounds like it's related to this issue that we've been tracking over in our issue tracker https://issues.imfreedom.org/issue/PIDGIN-17564

• Holly

Holly - 2021-11-16

@amc_grim: Not having much luck connecting with suggestions listed in 17564. :(
    Tried: Connect Server = xmpp.l.google.com
    Went back to talk.google.com, received cert message, then Incorrect username/pw

Sent back to original, google.talk:
    Debug Window - shows nss:partial certificate chain in red
    abber: Recv (ssl)(77): <failure xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl"><not-authorized></not-authorized></failure>
    sasl: Mechs found: X-OAUTH2 X-GOOGLE-TOKEN
    No worthy mechs found
    connection: Connection error on 065CDD50 (reason: 2 description: Incorrect username or password)

Boy do I miss my Pidgin :)

• Holly

Holly - 2021-11-17

Surprise, I turned off 2 step authentication and it connected. :)

• Holly

Holly - 2022-06-18

Ok I miss my pidgin again as it's giving me trouble again. Message = Incorrect username or password.
    - I've uninstalled an older version of Pidgin and installed new 2.14.10 (made sure to not save a password to avoid that issue.)
    - I've check Google to make sure Two Step authentication is off
    - The green 'Available' light is on
    - When I try to Enable XMPP and enter the password it's tells me incorrect. (It was working fine last week and on two separate computers but has now quit.)
    - I've tried upper and lower case Holly275, neither makes a difference. I've logged out of Google and back in to make sure I have the correct password for the gmail account and that worked fine but not in pidgin.
    - HELP Please. I hate chatting on a cell phone :( and I'm out of ideas.

• Eion Robb

Eion Robb - 2022-06-18

Unfortunately Google shut of access to gtalk/hangouts via XMPP. You'll need
      to switch to the newer Google Chat plugin to keep using Pidgin. More info
      at https://pidgin.im/posts/2022-05-google-talk-shutdown/

On Sat, 18 Jun 2022, 12:07 Holly, holly275@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Ok I miss my pidgin again as it's giving me trouble again. Message =
      Incorrect username or password.
      - I've uninstalled an older version of Pidgin and installed new 2.14.10
      (made sure to not save a password to avoid that issue.)
      - I've check Google to make sure Two Step authentication is off
      - The green 'Available' light is on
      - When I try to Enable XMPP and enter the password it's tells me
      incorrect. (It was working fine last week and on two separate computers but
      has now quit.)
      - I've tried upper and lower case Holly275, neither makes a difference.
      I've logged out of Google and back in to make sure I have the correct
      password for the gmail account and that worked fine but not in pidgin.
      - HELP Please. I hate chatting on a cell phone :( and I'm out of ideas.

Incorrect Username or password
      https://sourceforge.net/p/pidgin/discussion/665/thread/9ad07bd54f/?limit=25#9a6b

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/pidgin/discussion/665/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Holly

Holly - 2022-06-19

Hi Eion, Thank you 1000 times over. I appreciate your assistance! The hardest part was the Oauth piece as it helps to read the first line instead of just going to play the video lol. Glad to see you are still with pidgin, I know you've been around for awhile, me too. :)

Thanks Again
    ~Holly