where to find current perl API documentation?

2005-06-16
2013-01-14
  • farooqhasny

farooqhasny - 2005-06-16

i want to know about the current status of perl plugin and wehre can i find document about its API and signals etc thank you ........

• Ant

Ant - 2005-06-16

You can find some more information here,

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/api/perl-howto.html
      http://gaim.sourceforge.net/api/pages.html

and here in general,

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/api/

I found these links at the Gaim homepage, by going to 'Documentation'.

• farooqhasny

farooqhasny - 2005-06-17

thanks for your reply  ...but this documentation is about C API .....is there any thing spacific for the perl API .....if there is please let me know.....

farooq

• Etan Reisner

Etan Reisner - 2005-06-17

The first link he gave you (the one with "perl" in the URL) is about the perl api. And the perl api very closely matches the C api, that is the commands are the same (with gaim_buddy_foo -> Gaim::Buddy::foo as a general rule). If you get the gaim source you can look at the .xs files in the plugins/perl/common to see the exact functions.
        As to the status of the perl stuff, it's missing many newer functions, many of the existing functions are broken in subtle and non-subtle ways, and many things just don't work. It is likely that the perl plugin with go away with gaim 2.0.0 unless people step up and patch it so that it works and is updated (some patches exist but probably not enough yet).

• Ant

Ant - 2005-07-01

As Etan said further up in this thread,

"As to the status of the perl stuff, it's missing many newer functions, many of the existing functions are broken in subtle and non-subtle ways, and many things just don't work. It is likely that the perl plugin with go away with gaim 2.0.0 unless people step up and patch it so that it works and is updated (some patches exist but probably not enough yet)."

I have had no luck at all getting ay to work under WinGaim. They wont even show up in the plugins list.

• Ant

Ant - 2005-06-22

• alienzhvelanded

alienzhvelanded - 2005-07-01

So what exactly IS the current state of Perl plugins for GAIM? Anyone having any luck getting them to work at all? I'm not.

• Luke Schierer

Luke Schierer - 2005-07-01

you mostly won't. that's why its a Summer of Code project.

• alienzhvelanded

alienzhvelanded - 2005-07-01

Excellent, so that means Perl script support will rise again.    If the student working on the SOC project needs testers or whatever, I'd be happy to help since I have a project I'd like to put together with GAIM. I'm off to find out how long these projects are supposed to last. Thanks for the info Ischiere.

• - 2005-07-04

I'm also interested in the Perl plugin.  I could test as well.  Is there a status page for these SoC people?  I've seen no obvious notifications of activity on this SoC project on the site, nor in CVS.  What are the specific goals, where is the progress?

• alienzhvelanded

alienzhvelanded - 2005-07-07

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks