Plugin just creates bla.tex

Help
smn
2009-02-16
2013-04-25
  • smn

smn - 2009-02-16

Hi guys,

I installed this plugin on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid x64 with Pidgin 2.5.2, the dvipng from repository and texlive.
    If I try to use it with code like

$$\Omega_0 = \frac{1}{2}$$

in a chat window, nothing happens - what will mean: no text appears and no image appears.

I figured out that in /tmp/ is a file called "bla.tex" with the correct LaTeX-code in it - but the console output searches for another file:

[...]
    (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/amsfonts/amsfonts.sty))
    No file purpleL2GFPU.aux.
    (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/amsfonts/umsa.fd)
    [...]

Could you help me finding the cause?
    Can you help me with that problem?

Greetings, s_mn

• Qjuh

Qjuh - 2009-02-17

Hi s_mn,

the bla.tex file was a debug-output which was accidentally forgotten to remove from the release (it is now, for 1.3.1). The other files should be created though, but they are deleted after the png-file is created and put into pidgin imagestore.

I am using Ubuntu Intrepid x32 with texlive, dvipng and pidgin 2.5.2 and it works perfectly, even with you LaTeX-Code provided. Even if it doesn't work, pidgin should at least either 1) show the source-code you entered or 2) pop up an error-window stating the png-file wasn't found or 3) show an image in the conversation.

I'm really concerned about your report since I don't have any idea, where the problem might be. Try to turn on the debug-window of pidgin (located under Help->Debug-window) and send me the messages output directly after you send your LaTeX-code. There should be something about imgstore: hopefully.

Qjuh

• smn

smn - 2009-02-17

Hi Qjuh,

thanks for your reply and your thoughts. This is the output of the debug window:

(21:23:51) jabber: Sending (ssl): <message type='chat' id='purpledec76ec3' to='XXXX@jabber.ccc.de'><body>$$\Omega_{max} = \frac{\pi}{2} + \phi_0$$                                                                          </body><html xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/xhtml-im'><body xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'>$$\Omega_{max} = \frac{\pi}{2} + \phi_0$$                                                                          </body></html></message>
      (21:23:51) imgstore: retrieved image id 5
      (21:23:51) log: Wrote image file: /home/smn/.purple/logs/jabber/YYYYY@jabber.ccc.de/XXXX@jabber.ccc.de/71fa459d8f29c264f1b33d3024b0657ffeef7c41.png

so I found out, that the image files are stored correctly in the subfolders of .purple. But why they aren't shown in the chat window? The only main difference between our systems seems to be the x64 and I can't believe that this is the problem... :-D

Do you now have any ideas?
      Thanks for your help!

s_mn

• Qjuh

Qjuh - 2009-02-18

Did you try another protocol, AIM, ICQ, MSN, IRC, ...? Do they all have the same problem? If no, then it's probably a bug of the protocol or something special about the protocol that I haven't thought about during development.

If yes, then I'm really confused and have no idea at all.

Qjuh

• smn

smn - 2009-02-18

Hey Qjuh,

it's the same behaviour at all protocols I tested: ICQ/Oscar, MSN, Jabber
      and the output of the debug window is also the same...

• nowhereman

nowhereman - 2009-03-18

I had this problem with any pidgin-latex version.
      But now I have figured it out!
      (hope it works like this for you)

it was a conflict with another plugin: /usr/lib64/pidgin/convcolors.so
      I found it, by disabling all other plugins, seeing that pidgin-latex worked, and enabling the other plugins one by one.

greetz nowhereman

• Qjuh

Qjuh - 2009-03-19

Hi nowhere-man,

that's right, pidgin-latex is incompatible with any other plugin, that alters messages before they are displayed (like encryption or conversation colors). Well, actually it might work, but it's neither supported nor suggested.

Thank you for that hint, I have totally forgotten about that, I will alter the warning in the README to state something like that.

Qjuh

• Qjuh

Qjuh - 2009-03-19

Amendment: Conversation Colors-Plugin isn't fully incompatible, see https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4577818