text replacement plugin breaks on encryption

Help
Dave Bloom
2004-04-21
2004-04-21
  • Dave Bloom

Dave Bloom - 2004-04-21

not sure if i should post this here or main gaim forum, but it seems that text replacement doesn't work while encrypting.  this occured with gaim0.76 & gaim-encryption 2.23 as well.   currently using 0.76/2.24.

just a heads up.  hope it gets fixed -- i use both a lot.

• Bill Tompkins

Bill Tompkins - 2004-04-21

Given the current architecture of the Gaim plugins, I'm not sure there is a good way to fix this.

When a message is sent, Gaim hands it in turn to each plugin that has registered to look at outgoing messages.  The text replacement plugin replaces the message "in place", so the next plugin can look at it too.  The encryption plugin, however, does not leave the text in place: instead, it directly displays it on the screen, directly sends an encrypted version, and "eats" the message itself, so the next plugin doesn't get a message at all.

If the encryption plugin left the message there, it would get displayed and sent when the last plugin was done with it... so if it left an unencrypted message, the unencrypted message would be sent (bad).  But, if it left an encrypted message, the encrypted message would be displayed in the window as garbage (bad), and further plugins (like text replacement) wouldn't be able to parse the message anyways.

So, text replacement and encryption will work fine together as long as text replacement is in the plugin list before encryption.  But, at present, Gaim has no way of specifying an order for the plugins to be called... so there is no way to make it work reliably.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks