Menu

Cannot access web server from Internet

Anonymous
2002-09-10
2002-09-13
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-09-10

Hi,
    I installed the Pi3Web server on a computer running Windows ME with a direct
    connection to the Internet through a cable modem. Other computers on my home
    network are connected to a hub that is also connected to the main Windows ME
    machine using another network card. I can access my web site using the local
    machine and all computers on my home network. However, I cannot access the web
    server from outside my network. I can even access my domain,
    suncoastsoftware.net, on my local machines and the request is routed properly.
    I have tried setting up IP/Non-IP virtual hosts and still cannot access my web
    site. Can anyone help? Thank you,
    Casey

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-09-10

PS. Under Access method, I am using "Remotely using an IP address." I can ping the IP from other computers on the Internet.

• Clive Sabey

Clive Sabey - 2002-09-11

Ok here we go!
      It looks like a little problem with IP addresses.
      Your ISP will give you a static/non static IP to your network.
      From what you've said it looks like a static one. However, you have the skills to test this.....
      ===
      Now we have to link the network computer to the external IP.
      BUT are the ip's of the network fixed or are they allocated a fresh at start up?
      Again you can look into that....
      ===
      You were looking in the correct area PI3web "IP/Non-IP virtual hosts" but they can be very tricky.
      Just to be sure, make the changes then close the programme and relaunch. Yes! I know the setting should take over on a STOP/RESTART but better to be safe.
      ==
      I'll monitor http://www.suncoastsoftware.net/ for a day or 2 and see if I get a response. - 9/11 7:30 GMT No pages issued.
      ==
      Alternative, just connect the Pi3web PC to the Internet and see if you can get any action, that way you will know that it is a network problem to solve.
      ===
      Good Luck
      Clive

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-09-11

Thanks for the response Clive, I still cannot get it to work. I do not have a static IP from my ISP, however, it usually does not change, therefore I have been using it as static. I tried setting up Pi3Web on a different computer at a different location, connected directly to the internet with no other computers attached and still could not access the server from the internet. I should not have to set up any virtual servers should I? I should be able to connect using just the IP number. Could Microsoft file and print sharing be causing this? I set up the hard drive as read only just in case, this did not help. Anyone's help would be much appreciated.

• Holger Zimmermann

Is it thinkable, that your ISP has a firewall, which filters inbound requests to your computer? Ping is ICMP protocol, which doesn't say much about a  possible TCP connection to a certain port.
        If I know your current IP address I could try a port scan to figure out this.

• Clive Sabey

Clive Sabey - 2002-09-12

Hi,
      try going to

http://www.hexillion.com/utilities/DomainDossier.vbs.asp
      put in
      www.suncoastsoftware.net
      and check that your details match the DNS recorded details.
      ===
      Also, OK it's a bit lame but.., have a chat with your ISP and try to get a static IP.
      ===
      Also, windows has a program winipcfg.exe. Try running it vis START -- RUN -- winipcfg.exe and see what it tells you about your machine.
      ===
      Good Luck
      ===

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-09-12

Hi,
      my current IP is 24.55.233.108. I called my ISP last week because I suspected a firewall, but the person I spoke with did not think they had one. I am going to give them another call. I run winipcfg, but it does not give me that much information. I am not sure how to do a port scan. Thank you for all the help.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-09-12

I did a port scan and it shows port 80 being closed. Also, my host name comes up with my ISP name as part of it. There must be a problem with the ISP. I will give them another call.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-09-12

I confirmed with my ISP that they block port 80 for some reason.  I finally got someone on the phone that knows what they are talking about. I will resolve this through my isp. Again, thanks for all the help.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-09-13

My first problem was that my ISP was blocking many of the ports. I located some ports that were not blocked. My other problem was that I am using Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing which blocks all INCOMING connections. In Windows 98/ME, there is no way to manually allow certain ports to be accessed. I found a program that will let you open, configure, and map port connections to the ICS host and client machines. The free program is called ICS Configuration V1.5 and is available from here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/icsconfiguration.htm#Free
      Thanks again for the help, now I can get some sleep finally.   Casey