Getting mount to work

Help
Bobby Jack
2010-04-20
2012-12-12
  • Bobby Jack

Bobby Jack - 2010-04-20

Sorry for the rather dumb question, but I helped fix another far trickier issue, so I'm hoping I'm owed something in return :-)

On my web server, mount is at /bin/mount. That's the only location (nothing else from "which -a"). That binary is ONLY executable from root - I'm guessing for good reasons.

What's the recommended approach to get the 'Mounted Filesystems' working? /bin/df IS available to my web server process, but I'm unclear as to exactly how phpsysinfo (in its latest incarnation) uses mount/df to get the filesystem info. I used to see a "can't find mount" error with 2.5.4, but I'm on 3.0.4 and see no errors now.

• Bobby Jack

Bobby Jack - 2010-04-20

OK, if I look at the XML output (?disp=xml) I DO see the same old error. So I guess mount is still required to see Mounted Filesystem info - makes sense!

So, what's the best way of allowing phpsysinfo to execute mount without compromising security?

• Erkan

Erkan - 2010-05-18

Hello,

You can add this in you crontab (as root) :
    */5 * * * * php /var/www/phpsysinfo/xml.php > output.xml

Then modified phpsysinfo to read parse this xml file

• Bobby Jack

Bobby Jack - 2010-05-19

Hi jacky,

That's a great idea - one that I was actually toying with, myself :-) In fact, it seems to make so much sense, I wonder if phpsysinfo (psi) should be modified to support this natively. I can imagine a configuration in which there's an option for psi to update the file itself, which can be disabled, otherwise the file can be generated however the administrator so chooses. This would also enable different levels of caching, and would allow the output to be shared by other applications.

As an aside, I actually get errors trying to execute xml.php via the command-line; I'll try to work out what's going on.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks