Menu

SMART not kicking in

Help
2013-02-27
2013-02-27
  • Greg Hartzog

Greg Hartzog - 2013-02-27

Hello there everyone. I have installed phpsysinfo-3.1.1 on Ubuntu 12.10 and it is reading properly. I was able to install lm-sensors and enable that without issue. I installed smartmontools and configured phpsysconfig.ini to activate SMART but it is not picking up anything.

I have created "smart0.txt" from "smartctl -all /dev/sd0" and placed it in "/var/www/phpsysinfo-3.1.1/data". I also edited the various sections of phpsysconfig.ini to enable debugging, activate the smart module, list the disk devices to watched.

But in the web page the SMART box is empty. There is no sign the web page has any errors and there do not seem to be any error logs coming out any place.

Suggestions on places to look and things to check appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg

• Mieczysław Nalewaj

Paste here your smart0.txt file.

Check the configuration in phpsysinfo.ini:

[main]
    PLUGINS="SMART"

[smart]
    ACCESS="data"

DEVICES="/dev/sda"

• Greg Hartzog

Greg Hartzog - 2013-02-27

That got it. I was missing ACCESS="data". I had left it as ACCESS="command" so it was not working.

Do I need to manually repopulate smart0.txt periodically or does the plugin handle that itself?

• Mieczysław Nalewaj

The simplest way is ACCESS = "command" but if it does not work because of insufficient permissions and does not help "chmod 4755 /usr/sbin/smartctl" remains an option ACCESS = "data". Use "cron" to periodically generate smart0.txt.