PhpPgAdmin v.3.4-1 and Odontolinux

Help
2004-08-20
2004-08-23
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi!
    Soon back again :-)
    While testing phppgadmin functionality I 'discovered' it was not listing my (experimental) odontolinux database.
    I switched to a console and logged to postgresql through 'psql' thus realizing that, although as ordinary user I had all the permissions on the relative tables, the odontolinux db belonged to superuser (postgres). So I changed ownership to user and tried again to see it with phppgadmin, with no success.
    Is there something wrong with my config files or is it an unadvertised conflict betweeen the two applications?
    At the time of this post all the odontolinux tables are owned by me as 'user', I logged out and in again but still cannot see them from phppgadmin!
    Regards,
            Ennio.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Adding info to my own query:
      Looking in past messages I read about the $config['owned_only'] parameter.
      Now:
      - setting it to 'false' I can see the odonto-tables
      - setting it to 'true' they become invisible, althogh I appear to be the only owner (having changed ownership from postgres to user).
      So a new question arises: if I own the table, why should I set the above parameter to false?
      Regard,
              Ennio.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Adding again to my previous query for clearness' sake ...
      While perusing my databases I found out that the odontolinux database ownere is still postgres, although all its table were altered to owner 'user'.
      May be this explains the behaviour I found strange yesterday.
      Could you please confirm?
      If my assumptions are correct they bring me to a new question: is there any possibility to change the database owner apart from pg_dumping it and re-creating as 'user'?
      Regards,
              Ennio.

• Christopher Kings-Lynne

You can't alter database owner until 8.0 I think.  However you can update the system catalogs manually as a superuser!!!

eg:

update pg_database set datdba=(select usesysid from pg_shadow where usename='<newowner>') where datname='<dbname>';

Chris

• Nobody/Anonymous

Perfect! It works :-)
      Thank you, Chris.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Perfect! It works :-)
      Thank you, Chris.
             Ennio

No idea about getting rid of the record separating hyphens when working in text console with large text columns?

• Christopher Kings-Lynne

Try \x or \a before your query...

• Nobody/Anonymous

Uhm... \x doesn't help in this case, \a seems to be ok when I try it with 2 cols table (short, long_text), apart from the scrolling problem (pager does not work well with postgreSQL 7.2.1). I'll see what happens with my true main table ...
      Ayway, thank you again, Chris, I owe you a couple of drinks when I'll see you in Italy :-)
      Cheers,
               Ennio