plans?

Anonymous
2002-05-03
2002-05-03
  • Anonymous - 2002-05-03

I was wondering what the current plans for phpPhAdmin are. Is the project in rest? or is there still active development? And if so, I'm curious as to when a new version is sheduled.

Huugje.

• Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson - 2002-05-03

Huugje,

phpPgAdmin (the current version) is basically in a code freeze.  We are still doing minor bug fixes, but new features are not being implimented.

We are however working on a new version of phpPgAdmin which will be renamed to WebDB to reflect a more tool with the ability to manage multiple types of databases.

There is currently no estimated date or release, however we do have the framework layed for the new version.  You can check out the new code under the webdb module in the CVS.

We appreciate the bug fixes and features requests you have submitted already, some of which will be implemented in the new version.

If you are a PHP developer and would like to contribute, please feel free to build patches for some of the bugs or feature requests you have submitted.  Once we have verified that you are a capable developer, we can make you part of the team.

-Dan
      Project Lead

• Anonymous - 2002-05-03

Sounds interesting!

Unfortunately (for me, that is), my interest in phpPgAdmin stems from phpPgAdmin being used as part of my internship (and as such, I could make some time free to play with it).

So, while it's easy to moan and groan about functionality and bugs, I don't really have time to work on something new - I'm busy doing this internship.

Though maybe I will take a look anyway :)

Huugje.
      PS: Is "WebDB" going to be a merger of phpPgAdmin and phpMyAdmin?

• Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson - 2002-05-03

It won't be a merge of the two really (we aren't working together with the phpMyAdmin team)... but will be a joining of the same functionality.

Our first priority is to get the postgres portion completely working and stable.  Then we will move on to MySQL and others (Oracle, Sybase, MSSQL, etc).  I'm sure will will need contributions from many people to write the code for all the different databases, but our framework should make it quite simple.

-Dan