Menu

I installed on cPanel/phpMyAdmin

David Ing
2007-02-06
2013-03-22
  • David Ing

David Ing - 2007-02-06

Just to let others know ... I managed to install phpOrganisation on my hosted domain, just working through the cPanel interface and executing the SQL through phpMyAdmin.

I tried executing the install.php script initially, and, as the documentation suggested might happen, it didn't work.

Trying to follow the alternative instructions -- I was having a few challenges getting SSH to work, since I normally don't use it -- I decided instead to create the tables through the cPanel interface, and then execute the SQL through phpMyAdmin.

I copied and pasted the content from phporganisation.sql into a phpMyAdmin SQL screen, creating the tables.

I then went through the initialization files (i.e. /sql/initial data/ ) files one by one, opening each in an text editor, and pasting it into a phpMyAdmin SQL entry field.  I did these in alphabetic order (i.e. accounting_codes.sql ... vat_rates.sql).

This seemed to work ... except in one case, MySql gave a response that one column was missing.  (I can't recall which one it was, but it was a one-row insert).  I added another value to the insert command -- I just called it 'initial' -- and proceeded.

On some other copy-pastes, there were some error messages about rows already existing, so either I executed the same SQL twice, or else there's some duplication in the scripts.

After all of this, I was able to look through a working phpOrganisation.  It probably took me 2 to 3 hours to figure this out (elapsed time ... I needed some time to think!)

Unfortunately, I don't think that phpOrganisation suits my purpose.  Having looked around at quite a few other packages, I'm thinking that this is a elephant gun that I would lining up to kill a mouse!

It would have been nice to have a working demo site up, so others wouldn't have to go through the same experience.  Until then, if you know how to create an SQL database and execute SQL commands through phpMyAdmin, you can now make your own judgement about whether it's worth your time to try it out.

• Seb James

Seb James - 2007-07-18

Thanks for trying phpOrganisation. I quite agree that a working demo would be a good thing. The trouble with a demo is that it gets gradually eroded with profane content, so in order to put up a demo which I can "fit and forget" I need to arrange a scheme whereby the sql is restored on a daily basis. Thinking about it, that wouldn't be too hard...

Seb