Limitations to size of Helptext??????

2004-02-16
2004-02-17
  • Boudewijn Sjouke

Hi,

While enthousiastically producing helptexts I run into an error:
    Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in D:\Data\gedviewcvs\languages\help_text.nl.php on line 104
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\Data\gedviewcvs\languages\help_text.nl.php:104) in D:\Data\gedviewcvs\functions_print.php on line 651

This occurs when I click "Help" on a screen, for which I produced a very large helptext.
    Is there a limitation in the size of helptexts, and if so, can they be extended easily?

Boudewijn.

• Arne Eckmann

Arne Eckmann - 2004-02-16

Hi Boudewijn

Does unescaped quotation marks exist inside the text ?

Best regards,

Arne

• Boudewijn Sjouke

Hi Arne,
        After coming home I was able to check this out further:
        The helpfile was a mess. The text was truncated and other portions of text were inserted elswhere.
        Interesting was though, that the end of the truncated string looked like this: ..........zien:<br /><br />De knop \&quot;Kwartierstaat\&quot;;
        Perhaps it's a coincidence that a quote is missing, perhaps not.

After manual repair the text displays (after clicking HELP) as should. But: in the language-editor the string only shows up to the point where it was truncated. When I edit the text though, the whole correct string is edited.
        After altering something in the text and saving it again, the langfile is messed up again.

Boudewijn.

• Phantomas

Phantomas - 2004-02-16

Hi Boudewijn,

would you please send me the whole text you wanted to add to the helptextfile by email?

bye, Kurt

• Boudewijn Sjouke

Hi Kurt,

I'll send you two files: one is the corrupted, the second one is the one I repaired manually. The last one contains the whole text I had typed in.

Bur,
            Boudewijn.

• Phantomas

Phantomas - 2004-02-16

Problem solved...

Boudewijn had just added more text to a message than I tought someone would ever do :-)

In v3.x the max. length of a line inside a language file to be edited by the language editor will be 6144 chars!

If someone with an older version has that problem too he/she needs to edit the following lines inside "editlang_functions.php":

Search for the string "1024". It is inside the function:

read_complete_file_into_array()

and

read_export_file_into_array()

$line = fgets($fp, (4 * 1024));

Just rise (4 * 1024) to (6 * 1024) or (8 * 1024) if you need :-)

The limitations should be your free memory on your server and the size of your language files ;-)

bye, Kurt

• Boudewijn Sjouke

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the great (realtime) support! Fine job again!

Boudewijn.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks