I'm trying to start the Indonesian Language translation. The first thing I did was create New Language from Admin tool. But then I got an error until it chrased the whole installation. I thought I did a misconfiguration with the phpGedView. But later I knew that the Language translation didn't copy the english-base language to Indonesian language correctly.
Please help me, where do I have to start it first?
thanks for you help.
The user interface for creating a new language is not very good, and really must be re-written. However, we don't get very many requests for new languages (perhaps one or two each year), so the effort required to improve the interface is generally thought to be not worth-while.
The manual process for creating a new language follows:
Begin by editing file "includes/lang_settings_std.php". Copy one of the other language settings, and make the changes appropriate for the new language. I suggest you use Vietnamese as a guide, but empty the alphabet settings (they can be changed later). The order in which the various languages appear in this file doesn't matter. Although this file contains a lot of special characters, you MUST treat it as a plain ASCII text file. Do NOT attempt to get your text editor to display the non-ASCII characters in their correct form. The file is actually in UTF8 code without the self-identifying Byte Order Mark.
The language name should be "sundanese", and the language shortcut should be "su". This is what you also enter in the file names in place of "vi", "en", or whatever other language you selected as a starting point.
You also need to tell PhpGedView what name to display in English menus when it sees a reference to "sundanese". This is basically a definition of the language variable $pgv_lang["lang_name_sundanese"]. You will find the list of language names in file "languages/configure_help.en.php" between lines 539 and 562. The order of the entries is not important. In fact, you could even add your new language name anywhere else in the file. However, we ask that you not do this, since that would make maintenance of the language list more difficult.
Once you have made these changes, PhpGedView will have "Sundanese" in the list of languages.
Begin by editing the settings for that language. You need to enter the correct name in Sundanese, and you need to enter the alphabet in the correct sorting order, both upper and lower case. If you're using the Latin alphabet with diacritics (normally diacritics are guides to pronunciation), you also need to decide whether you want to use dictionary rules for sorting. Don't forget to mark the language as "active", and to select the correct flag (it should be "Indonesia.gif").
When the Sundanese language is marked as "active", you can find it in the language selection menus. Initially, all text will be in English since you haven't made any translations. It's OK to have missing or empty language files.
You can use the Translator tools to get PhpGedView to create a basic file that you can then edit (translate) on-line. To make this work, the "languages" directory MUST have full read/write/modify permissions for the world. This is the 0777 permission set. Alternatively, you can make a copy of the English files and re-name them with "su" in place of "en" in the file name. You can then edit (translate) these files off-line using your favourite text editor.
The method you use depends on your personal preference. I find it easier to edit off-line when I'm making a lot of changes.
You MUST remember that the language files are in the UTF8 character set without that Byte Order Mark. This is important when you're editing the files off-line.
I tried to add Indonesian like Pak B did, but I got this message:
ERROR 8: Undefined index: lang_name_indonesian.
0 Error occured on line 89 of file changelanguage.php
Then I tried to add some languages, but I still got the ERROR 8 message. I tried to continue until I found the work one. It seems that some languages don't works. Currently I use the worked one and edit it as Indonesian although it's originally not Indonesian. Thank you for the good work.
<<ERROR 8: Undefined index: lang_name_indonesian.>>
You must add this definition to configure_help.en.php
See lines 560-590
Thanks. I'm sorry not to notice that. I've solved the problem.
I have finished translate two language files. Please check at:
It seems that two are used often. Wish me could finish translating the others.
I have combined your two language files into one zip file.
I have deleted your two separate files, deleted one of the patch notifications, and changed the title of the other.
Before we can add this language to PGV, we need to know what entries to put into the language configuration. Please supply this information in the form of an additional attachment to the patch notification.
I have added your files to SVN and created empty files for the other Indonesia language files. I have also created the language settings for Indonesian, using Dutch as the starting point.
These changes will be part of the upcoming release of PGV 4.2.
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.