Menu

import - headless

2023-08-18
2023-08-19
  • howard marantz

howard marantz - 2023-08-18

How can I import a GED without any user interaction?

My use case is having another web service on the same host that will generate a GED which needs to have been imported into PhpGedView prior any user interaction.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2023-08-18

Can't be done.

You need to log in with Admin rights in order to import a GEDCOM into the database. The database MUST exist, but PhpGedView will establish the necessary tables AFTER you have configured everything.

• howard marantz

Thanks for your lightning quick response.

So, given that I've once done an import through user interaction, thus presumably establishing tables, am I still unable?

And if so, would it be possible to add code to phpgedview to accomplish this?

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2023-08-18

If PhpGedView is already running, you don't need to establish the database tables or configure anything.

There are no plans to implement anything having to do with "unattended" Admn functions. There are too many security considerations, and it's not something that many people would want or need.

Exactly WHAT is it you're trying to achieve? What problems does this feature eliminate?

• howard marantz

Use case: Gedcom files will be produced 'auto-magically' by another application. The users of PHPGEDVIEW, will not have admin rights; will only be using it for reports and views,; will assume that the gedcom files are up-to-date. Hence the need to load them without user interaction, i.e., as a web service application.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2023-08-19

You have already discovered that PhpGedView is not designed to do this. There's also zero chance that this will ever be implemented.

I suggest that you set up a schedule to log in as admin and import the updated GEDCOM file. Weekly updates are probably too frequent.

Perhaps you should be looking for something other than PhpGedView? I can't advise you in this regard.