2013-05-29
  • Boudewijn Sjouke

Hi Christophe and others,

I noticed that a few variables are added to lang.en.php:
    $pgv_lang["grand_"]             = "Grand";
    $pgv_lang["great_"]             = "Great-";
    $pgv_lang["uncle"]              = "Uncle";
    $pgv_lang["aunt"]               = "Aunt";

I assume that somewhere in the PGV code two or more of these variables will be concatenated to get something like "Great-Grandfather" or so.

I would like to point out that in at least the Dutch language concatenation is handled differently from English, especially regarding capitals. For instance:
    Father = Vader
    Grandfather = Grootvader
    Granduncle (if it exists) = Oudoom (different translation of "Grand")
    Great-Grandfather = Overgrootvader (different handling of capitals and "-")

I suppose every language has it's way of naming the different family relations, so I would like to suggest the use of the whole relation name in variables.

Any remarks from the other translators?

Regards,
    Boudewijn.

• Christophe B.

Christophe B. - 2004-07-17

Hi Boudewijn,

about this new variables : they are used only in the lang.xx.php file and can be removed.

I wanted to concatenate them to create dynamic relationship name in the new sosabook chart but, as you say, this is very language-dependant.

So I changed my mind and I have created new variables "sosa_n" which can give a better translation.

Hope this is clear enough...

Christophe

• Boudewijn Sjouke

Hi CHristophe,

Thanks for your explanation, it's all clear.
        If the vars can be removed again from the lang.en.php file, please do so. This will prevent translators who do not read this from translating it.

Regards,
        Boudewijn

• Christophe B.

Christophe B. - 2004-07-18

By the way :
      which editor do you use for language files to force unicode encoding without the first 2 strange bytes ... ??

Christophe

• Boudewijn Sjouke

Hi Christophe,

I took a deeper look in naming the ancestors in my pedigree, and found out that I will need about 150 variables to name them all. That's without uncles, nephews, etc.
      In Dutch they are built up systematically and could be concatenated in a certain way, but I am far from sure that the same system is used in other languages.
      So to make the naming flexible for all languages and save the translators loads of work, would it be an idea to see how the naming systems in the different languages work?

Regards,
      Boudewijn.

• Thomas Gail Haws

Yes, I think we need every supported language to answer the following question:

Does your language need more names than this?
        Whoever needs the most wins.

I. Ancestors
        Mother
        Father
        Grandmother
        Grandfather
        #great-Grandfather or Grandmother
        Father-in-law Spanish suegro
        Mother-in-law Spanish suegra
        ???father-in-law
        ???mother-in-law

II. Uncles and Aunts
        Uncle
        Aunt
        Great-Uncle or Aunt
        #great-grandfather/mother-in-law

III. Siblings/Cousins
        Brother
        Sister
        Stepbrother
        Stepsister
        Half-brother
        Half-sister
        Cousin
        #cousin
        #cousin#times removed
        ?????-in-law

IV. Nephews/nieces
        Nephew
        Niece
        Great-nephew or niece
        ????-in-law

V. Descendants
        Child (Son or Daughter)
        Grandchild
        #Great-????
        Son-in-law Spanish yerno
        Daughter-in-law Spanish nuera
        ????-in-law

VI. Marriage
        Spouse (Husband/Wife)
        Parents of child-in-law Spanish concun~o

It should be interesting to see which language values extended relationships most highly.  Spanish beats English here.

• Boudewijn Sjouke

And I thought of another question.... what will you do with pedigree loss? then an ancestor will get two roles.

• Boudewijn Sjouke

Yesterday I finished a small adjustment to the sosabook. For printing the relationship name, first a function is called named get_sosa_name. If no result comes out, the names are printed using the previous existing way.

The function consist of programmed logic per language. It calculates the relationship name depending on the given sosa number and sex.
      I implemented this for the dutch language, and it works with about 20 lines of code and 10 sosa vars in the language files. This way it is possible to cover 513 generations.

I am willing to cooperate in implementation of this logic for other languages, but it needs good knowledge of relationship names and the logic in them. So..... who's next?????

Boudewijn.

• Arne Eckmann

Arne Eckmann - 2004-10-22

In regard to the suggested contest the minimum requirements from the Danish Language is:

I. Ancestors
      Mother  --------- (mor)
      Father  --------- (far)
      Grandmother ----- (bedstemor, where it again distinguishes between fathers mother = farmor and mothers mother = mormor)

Grandfather ---(-bedstefar, where it again distinguishes between fathers father = farfar and fathers mother = farmor)

#great-Grandfather or Grandmother - great-Grand = olde (ie oldefar and oldemor)
      Great-great Grand = tipolde (ie tipoldefar and tipoldemor)

Great-Great-Great Grand = tiptipolde (ie tiptipoldefar and tiptipoldemor)

Father-in-law Spanish suegro --- svigerfar
      Mother-in-law Spanish suegra --- svigermor
      ???father-in-law
      ???mother-in-law
      The husband to one of my mothers sisters is my mothers svoger. The wife to one of my mothers brothers is my mothers svigerinde. 

II. Uncles and Aunts
      Uncle - in Danish some would call him an onkel while others would distinguish between a farbror (fathers brother) and a morbror (mothers brother)
      Aunt - in Danish some would call her a tante but only if she wasn't a blood relative but was married into the family. Otherwise she would be a moster (mothers sister) or a faster (fathers sister)  
      Great-Uncle or Aunt - here Great would be gran or grand.

#great-grandfather/mother-in-law

III. Siblings/Cousins
      Brother - bror
      Sister - sster
      Stepbrother - stedbror
      Stepsister - stedsster
      Half-brother - halvbror
      Half-sister - halvsster
      Cousin - in Danish it depends on gender, that is kusine if it is a female and ftter if it is a male.
      #cousin
      #cousin#times removed
      ?????-in-law

IV. Nephews/nieces
      Nephew - nev
      Niece -niece
      Great-nephew or niece
      ????-in-law

V. Descendants
      Child (Son or Daughter) barn, sn, datter
      Grandchild - barnebarn
      #Great-???? - oldebarn
      Son-in-law Spanish yerno - svigersn
      Daughter-in-law Spanish nuera - svigerdatter
      ????-in-law

VI. Marriage
      Spouse (Husband/Wife) gteflle/samlever (Mand and hustru)

Now rather than having several Great-Great-Grand it would be better to differentiate all the way like
      fars farfar (fathers fathers father) and fars farmor (fathers fathers mother) ...

• Patrik Hansson

Patrik Hansson - 2004-10-22

Geir Hkon Eikland the norweigen translater and developer has made some code that adds the Norweigen and swedish forms of grandparents automatic in the program. I dont now how much the danish way differs but maibe if you ask him he is willing to do it for the danish language also.

Regards

Patrik

• Arne Eckmann

Arne Eckmann - 2004-10-22

Hi Patrik

Thanks for your input, but it was merely a comment to Thomas Gail Haws entry.

Best regards,
      Arne

• Jan Hapala

Jan Hapala - 2004-10-22

Czech does not require any more expressions for the ancestors and relatives. On the contrary, I was surprised seeing that there were variables like great-grandmother (and higher levels) - it can be catenated (great + grandmother and so on). But it is perhaps necessary for other languages (?).

But I have two other suggestions:
      1) There is the expression "title" for both meanings - as a title before someone's name and as a title of the page or a title of gedcom. It would be better to split it into two variables (one for the name and the second one for the other meanings).
      2) The variable "edit" is only in the lang file. I think there should be another one in the configure file, as well. In the configure file are expressions for privileges setting (except "edit").

• Jan Hapala

Jan Hapala - 2004-10-22

I suppose there is a typo in the $pgv_lang["annivers_event_help"] variable in the English help file.

"... Other settings of day, month, year, and events and mode remain as they were."

Events should not remain as they were, should they? I think there is to be "... month, year and sex remain ...".

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks