What are these items...

Jan Hapala
2004-03-13
2004-04-12
  • Jan Hapala

Jan Hapala - 2004-03-13

Hello,
    I can't understand several items in .facts and .lang file. Can you give me a closer explanation, please?

"Sealing"
    "Marriage Beginning Status"
    "Marriage Ending Status"
    "To Do Item"

Thanks.

• Phantomas

Phantomas - 2004-03-13

Which language are you working on?

bye, Kurt

• Jan Hapala

Jan Hapala - 2004-03-13

I've made Czech translation.

• Phantomas

Phantomas - 2004-03-14

• Boudewijn Sjouke

Kurt, Jan,

You are referring to the _MEND and _MSTAT tags. Those are custom tags, added to support (I think) FTM.
            For translators those tags always mean problems, because you have to know the specific software to know how to translate them.
            _TODO seems to be a custom fact too, since it starts with an underscore. I don't know where it originates from. I guess that software has the ability to add that tag to certain events, to be able to make some sort of "to do" list.
            Sealing is something that is used in the LDS Church, I myself consulted someone of that church in the Netherlands to find out how it should be translated in Dutch.

Regards,
            Boudewijn

• Jan Hapala

Jan Hapala - 2004-03-14

Thanks both of you.
              I tried that link which is very useful. I found "sealing" there. In PhpGedView it is mentioned several times with LDS. But once it is only "sealing". According to that page, it should be a kind of relation between parents and children (besides birth p., foster p. and adoption). I can't realize another one. So if you had an idea, let me know... It surely isn't too important but I'm interested in it ;)

• István Pető

István Pető - 2004-04-08

I have some questions in regards with lang.en variables too...
      What is the use of the following variables?
      - N.N.
      - P.N.

Thanks,
      Istvn

• Boudewijn Sjouke

Hi Istvan,

N.N. is short for Latin Nomen Nescio, which means "I don't know the name". The text you type in here will appear in case a surname is not mentioned in the Gedcom. In the indilist and the famlist you will see the text appear in the alphalist, so you can view all persons or famlies from which the surname is unknown. In Dutch I translated is with "Unknown".

Likewise, P.N. is short for Latin Praenomen Nescio, "I don't know the given name". If no given name is mentioned for an individual, the program will show what you type in here. In Dutch it's translated with "Given name unknown.

Did this answer your question?

Regards,
        Boudewijn.

(Add to FAQ)

• István Pető

István Pető - 2004-04-08

Yep, absolutely correct answers they are... ;)

Thanks a lot,
          Istvn

• István Pető

István Pető - 2004-04-10

I've found several GEDCOM-items (in. facts.en) which I don't know. Please, give me an explanation, if it's possible:
      - Brit mila
      - Marriage status (there are more of them, like marriage beginning/ending status)
      - Interred

And I don't know what the use of fact1... fact13 would be...

Thanks in advance,
      Istvn

• KosherJava

KosherJava - 2004-04-11

hi,
        a Brit mila is a jewish ritual circumcision.

• Thomas Gail Haws

Two things:
      1.  LDS Ordinances {with Spanish for example}
      -LDS = Latter (Last) Day Saint (Holy One) {SUD}

-LDS Sealing {sellamiento} is a marriage or binding of child to parents in an LDS temple.  In the absence of an LDS source for translation, a translation that includes words like combines "LDS Temple", "Marriage" , "Ceremony", "Ordinance", "Binding" may work.  The word "bind" found in the Holy Bible in Matthew 16:19 is a good translation.

-LDS Endowment {investidura} is an LDS temple ceremony "giving" or "endowing" an individual heavenly gifts that last, just as a rich man gives a large charitable endowment of money that is never depleted, but from which only the interest is drawn.

2.  N.N. and P.N.
      This just in...

N.N. and P.N. are now apparently to be rendered in English as (unknown).  Each other language can of course render then as is best for the respective language.