"site is currently unavailable"

Help
2012-11-03
2013-05-30
  • Mark Steger

Mark Steger - 2012-11-03

I have PhpGedView installed. Not sure of exact version, but it was downloaded and installed in 2012. All was working great for several months. Now, suddenly, without any known changes on my part, when I try to access my family tree, I'm redirected to the install.php page that says, "site is currently unavailable." I've looked at the config.php file, which appears to be unchanged, and the MySQL information appears to be correct. Any suggestions for where to look next?

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-11-03

You need to get your service provider involved.  The behaviour you describe indicates that PGV can't connect to the database.

• Mark Steger

Mark Steger - 2012-11-03

Thanks. I know what they'll say. They don't support PhpGedView. Is there any simple script that could demonstrate the problem to try to entice them to investigate?

• Mark Steger

Mark Steger - 2012-11-03

Problem solved.

I found a simple connect script to test. Sure enough, it couldn't connect to the PGV db. Somehow the user password was changed. I don't know if someone hacked my account or what, but after deleting the user and recreating it, I am able to connect again, both with the simple test script and with PGV.

Thanks, canajun2eh, for the quick response to my original query and pinpointing where to begin looking.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-11-04

I would suggest, VERY STRONGLY, that you upgrade to the most recent version of PGV.  This is the "SVN" version, also known as 4.3.0

Download and upgrade instructions are in a recent Help topic whose title begins with "Repost: Download "SVN"".

If you follow the instructions exactly (don't change anything in the procedure), you won't have any problems.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks