Help
Cyndy
2008-01-28
2013-05-29
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Rod McInnes

Rod McInnes - 2013-01-17

Thanks Stephen, for the prompt reply.

1) I'll implement your suggestions, and if I need to come back will start a new thread.

2) I thought the GEDCOM was corrupt because this is the entire GEDCOM, not a snippet. A similar problem is documented earlier in this thread.

3) I agree that our following of the PLACE conventions is sloppy. We'll need to tidy this up.

Conversion of SQL to GEDCOM may be easy, but for the life of me, I can't see where. In phpmyadmin?

Thanks

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2013-01-17

Is this your gedcom or the SQL? PGV has not 'sync'd' to a GEDCOM file in ages - IIRC, since before version 4. When it did, every minor change in the SQL DB required rewriting (over-writing) the existing file and as the size of the file grew, it created a huge I/O strain on the system, taking up unneeded processor time and memory.

As how to do so, did you read the WIKI? In this entire time, have you never exported or downloaded one of your tree files?

Manage GEDCOMS > Find the GEDCOM you wish to manage (if you have more than one) > First line shows:
    GEDCOM file………….your file location and name…………IMPORT………..EXPORT…………DELETE……….DOWNLOAD…..CHECK

Not sure what could be easier?
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2013-01-17

I echo Stephen's plea:  DO NOT RESURRECT OLD POSTS.  Please start a new thread in future.

You REALLY should upgrade.  The download location and upgrade instructions are in a recently "bumped" Help topic whose title begins with "Repost: Download "SVN" version …"  Just because the "SVN" version isn't called "stable" doesn't mean that it isn't stable.

Your problem is that the GEDCOM file is corrupt.  Delete the existing GEDCOM file in the "index" directory, and then export the database.  This will create a new GEDCOM that will be synchronized with the database contents.

I suspect that a hacker got to your site and started damaging things.  UPGRADE!  You should also look into relocating the "index" directory so that it's not in the web-addressable space on your server.  Do this after you've upgraded and made sure the upgraded site is working properly.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2013-01-17

You export the database to a GEDCOM by clicking on the "Export" link on the Manage GEDCOMs page.

• Rod McInnes

Rod McInnes - 2013-01-17

All good points - thank you!

My Manage GEDCOMs page top line reads:

GEDCOM file ./index/filename.GED (0.20Kb) Import  Delete  Download 

Neither this nor  Wiki graphic for Manage GEDCOMs has an Export command.

After deleting the corrupt 0.2 kb GEDCOM above, where do I execute an Export from, please?

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2013-01-17

OMG - DO NOT DELETE HERE! This will not necessarily delete the file in your INDEX FOLDER, but rather DELETE it from your SQL.

EXPORT and DOWNLOAD do the same thing, just to different locations. DOWNLOAD will bring it to you, locally. EXPORT would have put a copy into your INDEX folder.  This is one reason we do NOT support 4 year old software.  I'm confused as to your question. Surely you have downloaded previous copies to use locally or retain for backups?  If not, you may well have many, many other problems.  You should be using a host that makes backups for you since it appears you do not do so yourself. ;-))

• Rod McInnes

Rod McInnes - 2013-01-17

Sorry, Stephen,

Despite actually saying it, I probably wouldn't have used the Delete command in the manage GEDCOM, as I would have reread the comments above carefully before acting.  But thanks for the warning.

As I noted in my first post, I create backups of the GEDCOM file using the procedure in the Backup Wiki and of the SQL file using the procedure in Step 10 of the Upgrade Wiki

I've also now downloaded the .GED file using the Manage GEDCOMs' command, as you and others suggested.  It appears to be full and uncorrupted at 600+ Kb, not the 0.2Kb version from GEDCOM backup above.    I've uploaded this, and editing has returned. This has answered my question - thanks indeed.  Sorry that I was so unclear in my query, that it took me this long to get here.

In my own defense, of my slow progress, I did not choose this job, but inherited it when our Administrator died four years ago, and could not find a volunteer amongst our members to take over.  I'm the Genealogist with low IT skills, doing the best I can. 

So, I truly value your patience in providing me advice. 

So, now to upgrade and then protect my index directory.

Thanks again

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2013-01-17

Please follow the instructions in the Help topic mentioned above.  They're somewhat less complicated than the instructions in the Wiki, and are known to work.

• Rod McInnes

Rod McInnes - 2013-01-17

Ta! That's the two posts from you (canajun2eh) in 2011 which are regularly bumped to the top of this discussion?

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2013-01-17

"maxbeggs":
    Yup.  That's the one.

• Rod McInnes

Rod McInnes - 2013-01-18

Thanks again!

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)