PhpGedView installation wizard

Help
2013-07-24
2013-07-26
  • Gerda Jensen

Gerda Jensen - 2013-07-24

Hi

I have problems with my installation wizard.

Where can I find the information to write in these questions?

Database Type

Database Host

Database Port

Database Username

Database Password

Database Name

Use the database to provide UTF-8 collation

Database Table Prefix ???

Type is Mysql

Host is it my serverhost from one.com

And I have username got from WikiPhpGedView, shall I use this?

Password as to PhpGedView ?

Database Name ?

Hope someone can help, Thank you

Gerda

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2013-07-24

If you're just starting out, you should really consider using webtrees instead of PhpGedView.

Webtrees was cloned from PhpGedView about 3 years ago, in March 2010. It is under active development where PhpGedView has had no major upgrades in all that time. Support for webtrees is a LOT better too.

Both PhpGedView and webtrees require your host support to establish a mysql database before you can begin the installation. Your host support will be able to answer your questions about the database, its location (usually it's "localhost"), its name, and the userid and password required to access the database and establish database tables.

Database tables and the various fields ("columns") in each table are created by the program you're installing. The table name prefix is used by the program to make the table names unique.

For example, you can have several programs each with a database table called "users". To avoid the possibility of PhpGedView (and webtrees) using the same "users" table that some other program uses (NOT at all desirable), the table names are prefixed by some constant that's different for each program. webtrees could be told to use the prefix "xyz_" to produce a table name like "xyz_users", where PhpGedView could be told to use a prefix "foo_" to produce a table name like "foo_users".

Last edit: Gerry Kroll 2013-07-25
  • Gerda Jensen

Gerda Jensen - 2013-07-26

Hi Gerry Kroll
    Thank you for answer.
    i can see that PhpGedView have not made upgrades and I will try to use Webtrees, look at it. I have used PhpGedView years ago, for not for the last 6 years.
    I can see other have same problem as me.
    I have mysql at my host, One.com

• Gerda Jensen

Hi Gerry Kroll
    Do you have a link to webtree, then I can be sure the right to look at
    thank you
    Gerda Jensen

• Gerda Jensen

Thank you very much, I will try it
    Gerda Jensen

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks