Nothing available after import of GEDCOM

Help
Dixioldie
2011-03-21
2013-05-30
  • Dixioldie

Dixioldie - 2011-03-21

Hello,
    I'm an absolute newbee with phpGedView. So, don't hit me on my had, if I ask a silly question now:
    I have created a file with a program called "Ahnenblatt" (from http://www.ahnenblatt.de). I have created this file as GEDCOM formatted data.
    But: after the import, there is absolutely nothing in my phpGedView database (database was empty before).
    Can anybody tell me, what I'm doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-03-21

Were the tables created properly in your previously empty database? 

How did you get the GEDCOM created by Ahnenblatt into the PhpGedView system?  It's possible that this file contains an error, but to determine that I would need to look at a copy of the file.

• Michael A. Crane, Jr.

I am also a first time phpGedView user, and seem to have the same problem that dixiodie is having.

Nothing I try will get my installed version of phpGedView 4.2.4 to upload a ged file. I have tried ged files produced from two separate sources, and neither will work. Every attempt just gets me a 404 page.

I have tried installing the ged file manually via ftp, and still a no go.

I have looked over all the documentation, followed all the hard to understand, and inadequate, instructions, and nothing works.

I would love to get this thing working.

MACJR

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2011-04-01

MACJR
    There is a huge difference between putting the file (upload) into a folder from which PGV can 'import' it, than 'installing' the GEDCOM file. From what you've written, I can not determine which steps you have taken and which remain to accomplish.

1) You did a full installation of PGV? (We would suggest the SVN tarball version, but at least the 4.2.4 release. There are several important reports fixes and some other niggles that are fixed in SVN.)
       What is your configuration? PHP, Server, MySQL versions? How much memory does PHP have?
    2) You are now logged in and navigating to the GEDCOM administration page?
    3) Your INDEX folder has proper permissions?
    4) You have uploaded by FTP your GEDCOM into the INDEX folder?
         How large is your GEDCOM?  How was it created?
    5) The GEDCOM has full read/write permissions?

Now - what are you trying to do? You can take a couple of approaches just to see if your installation is correct. The easiest is to: "CREATE A NEW GEDCOM" .  This will create a GEDCOM on your PGV site with one person (I1) as a dummy. If this works, you can simply choose to import your good gedcom as a replacement for this one, OR

You can ADD GEDCOM by completing the form presented after you click this option, being sure you understand precisely how to specify the path to your FTP'd GEDCOM.   I would prefer you choose option one - CREATE a NEW and then simply replace it with your FTP'd version. That way you know that PGV is running properly and importing a replacement is easy.

As you can see, you provided far too little information for anyone to provide you with a solution.
    -Stephen

• Michael A. Crane, Jr.

Hello okbigkid, thanks for responding.

Yes, I did upload the ged file to the index folder… mainly because my installed version of phpGedView 4.2.4 refused to complete an import of a ged file from my computer, not the very large ged file, or much smaller ged file. Uploading the ged files manually into the index folder made no difference, they will not load into phpGedView.

In answer to "1," I downloaded the 4.2.4 release (the "full" version) from the phpGedView.net website. There was no offering of a SVN tarball version, that I could find, there.

In answer to "2," yes.

In answer to "3," yes.

In answer to "4," yes.

In answer to "5," yes.

Creating a new gedcom fails in the same way that ged files fail to load, all attempt only lead to a 404 page error. I would have been happy to start a fresh file, but sadly, even that did not work.

Yes, clearly something did not install right, but what? Is there a list of files I can check against? When I installed the program, its self-check claimed the installation was good. All permission settings have been gone over and over and over again, and the only way I missed something is if there is something missing from the instructions.

The only non-standard thing I did was change the program's install directory from "phpGedView" to "tree" (before I set up the program). I wanted something simple and easy for a web address. If that is the problem, that is lame. I figured I could add and remove modules to suit after I had everything up and running, but I ran into this gedcom problem so have done nothing else.

MACJR

• Mark Hattam

Mark Hattam - 2011-04-01

Ok … let's go back and start at the beginning …

what version of webserver are you running?
    what version of php?
    what version of MySQL

You say you're  a first time phpgedView user … but have you had experience of any other php and/or MySQL applications running on a webserver?

Is your website on Internet? What's the URL?

What page are you trying to access that is giving you the "404" error?

How did you put the phpGedView files onto your webserver? Did you download the .zip directly to the server (eg using wget) and unzip it on the server? Or did you download the .zip to your local computer, unzip on that, then upload all the separate files?

Sorry it's lots of questions.

Mark

• Stephen Arnold

the only way I missed something is if there is something missing from the instructions.

Let me assure you that there have been thousands of installations without one hiccup, so I wouldn't want to be you saying that there is a problem with the instructions.
    404 indicates that it can not reach a page. Obviously, something you changed is misdirecting the installation. As to naming a directory, call it anything you wish, but PGV has to know where it is installed.

Can you supply the URL so we can look? I suspect your config.php has a URL and it should not, or you have done something else to that configuration option. This is especially true if the CREATE NEW is not working.

You can send me an admin login for access to mailto:Ancestry-at-MyArnolds-dot-com  and I'll be happy to review for you too.
    -Stephen

• Michael A. Crane, Jr.

Yes, I noticed after I posted that last post that I had missed one line of your questions.  ;)

My server's php is version 5.2.10 and, as near as I can tell from my web host site, the MySQL is version 5.0.67.

Yes, I have a phpBB, but my skills are more in the graphics, (x)html, and css areas. Not so much into programming, but a little taste of it here and there (not enough to say I know it).

The 404 page error appears any time I try to upload, install, or create a gegcom file.

I unpacked the zip and used ftp to upload it to my server. Uploading all the file one at a time would have taken forever, so I am not sure I understand that question.

Asking questions is fine, especially if it helps me get this problem resolved.  ;)

MACJR

• Michael A. Crane, Jr.

"Can you supply the URL so we can look? I suspect your config.php has a URL and it should not, or you have done something else to that configuration option. This is especially true if the CREATE NEW is not working."

www.macjr.net/tree

The only thing I have changed from the standard install was the changing the main folder's name from PGV to tree, and that was before the upload and configuring of settings.

I did not think this would be a problem, but since I do have a problem, it had me wondering if this did cause the problem.

I had no problem installing a php program in the past.

MACJR

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-04-01

Macjr:
    If the site was working before you changed the folder name, your "config.php" file probably has a value entered into the $SERVER_URL line.  This line should look like this:

$SERVER_URL = "";

I just accessed the URL you give above, and I end up at a Login page which, upon completion, will launch the Manage GEDCOMs page.  This is normal when the database isn't populated. 

You need to remember that when you're uploading a GEDCOM, either through the PhpGedView program itself or by means of FTP, you're only delivering the GEDCOM to the server's file system.  When you use PhpGedView's "upload", the newly uploaded GEDCOM will be imported into the database automatically. 

When you use FTP to get that GEDCOM into the "index" directory, you firstly need make sure the permissions for this uploaded file are 777, otherwise the program won't work properly and you can end up with all sorts of weird errors.  Secondly, you'll need to import the GEDCOM into the database.

If you want to use PhpGedView's built-in upload facility, you engage the "Upload GEDCOM" option on the Manage GEDCOMs page.  You can browse your local PC for the file to be uploaded.  Usually, youre limited to a 2 Mb file here.  You can upload a ZIP filoe containing the desired GEDCOM.  In this case, the ZIP file has to be smaller than the server's upload limit (usually 2 Mb).

If you've uploaded the file using FTP, you have to use the "Add GEDCOM" option.  In the "Path and name of GEDCOM on server"  field, you just enter the name of the GEDCOM file.  Don't bother entering the "./index/" part.  As noted, this file needs to have 777 permissions before you start.  This option performs the database Import mentioned above.

In summary:
    The "Upload GEDCOM" option copies a GEDCOM from your local PC to the "index" directory and then populates the database with what's in that uploaded GEDCOM.
    The "Add GEDCOM" expects the GEDCOM file to already be on the server (usually you use FTP to get it there), and just populates the database with what's in that GEDCOM.

• Michael A. Crane, Jr.

Thanks for trying canajun2eh, but the config file seems to be correct. The line of code you show is as it shows in the config file.

At this point, I am ready to delete and start over.

I have found that I cannot create a new account with this installed PGV, I can log in with my admin account, but I cannot create a guest account, or any other account.

It seems there are more problems than just not being able to import or create a gedcom.

So, I start over.

Thanks, all, for trying.

MACJR

• Stephen Arnold

MACJR
    Reinstallation is probably an unnecessary action, but we'll be unable to help without more information.

Yes, you will be pretty-much prohibited from doing anything until you add a gedcom.

Why don't you email me your config.php so I can review it for any clues. Email address provided above.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-04-01

As Stephen says, PGV will NOT proceed until the database is populated.

If you delete the installation and start over again, you won't really resolve the problem.  You'll just become more frustrated and possibly start making some serious mistakes.

I suggest you send Stephen or me the login ID and password you used when you first set up the site.  This is the Site Admin userid, and is required when you're installing your first GEDCOM.  We'll see what we can discover.

My e-mail:  gkroll at keldine dot ca

• Michael A. Crane, Jr.

"I suggest you send Stephen or me the login ID and password you used when you first set up the site."

Sorry, I would rather not do that, or send my config.php file… at least not unedited first. Right now, I am checking on a few things with my web site host, like to find out if I have PDO enabled, or not. I can find no information listed on my provider site about that, so had to send in a support request. It may be a few days before I get an answer.

I decided to delete PGV for now. I want to download a fresh copy and install that… once I find out if my hosting service is PDO enabled… or not. If not, I guess I am just out of luck, unless I want to try one of the older versions of PGV.

If my site is PDO enabled, I will try PGV 4.2.4 again later and let you know how it goes.

MACJR

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2011-04-02

MACJR
    Do as you wish. You can't find more experienced and trustworthy helpers than those who offer assistance here. It seems more that you are impulsive and, as Gerry says, will simply become frustrated when you need not be.

To find out your PHP setup, simply install (upload) a php test file. Examples are available everywhere (in these forums, and via thousands of Googled sites) to determine all your php.ini configurations without bugging your host.

While you are at it, you should determine the Master settings on memory and timeouts too. You may have an inadequate configuration. These too will be exposed by your phpinfo.php test file.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-04-02

Macjr:
    Do NOT bother to send us any config.php file.  If you can't trust us enough to send an unaltered file, we're not interested in helping you any further.  You're on your own - I wash my hands of this thread.

Sorry, and good luck.

• Michael A. Crane, Jr.

"If you can't trust us enough to send an unaltered file, we're not interested in helping you any further."

Well now, isn't that interesting. I don't know any of you, and here you get miffed because I am not willing to share security related information.

Just for the record, it turns out that the PDO is not enabled. I will ask my web hosts why not for future reference, but it no longer matters for this subject.

I am no longer interested in PGV.

MACJR

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks