Upgrading from v4.1.2 to v4.2.4

Help
Rob
2012-01-28
2013-05-30
  • Rob

Rob - 2012-01-28

My host is upgrading from PHP 5.2 to 5.3, so I decided to upgrade from PhpGedView v4.1.2 to v4.2.4.

Upgrade instructions
    The Wiki seems to be down, but I managed to find these instructions: http://www.phpgedview.net/upgrading.php. The instructions talk about upgrading from PhpGedView v3.3 to v4.0. Because there doesn't seem to be an instruction for upgrading from PhpGedView v4.1.2 to v4.2.4 I'm using these.

Current status
    I have uploaded/overwritten all files of PhpGedView-all-4.2.4.zip on the server, except for the config.php file and the index directory, like the instructions is telling me. I didn't do anything else. E.g.: I'm at step 1.
    What's mentioned at step 2 is not taking place adn I am not sure about step 3. Please advice what to do now.

PHP errors
    When I go to my website in teh current situation, I am noticing PHP errors. For example:

ERROR 8: Undefined index: M
    0 Error occurred on line 536 of file individual_ctrl.php in function print_sex_record
    1 called from line 97 of file individual.php

My questions to you
    - Is it correct I shouldn't upload config.php file and the index directory or should I upload these, since it is an v4.1.2 to v4.2.4 upgrade?
    - Do I need to re-import my gedcom file? If so, how?

Any advice is welcome. I have a backup of all files, so I can always go back to the previous situation.

Cheers,

Rob

• Rob

Rob - 2012-01-28

I am a bit worried and I don't want to loose any information added online. If I look at my gedcom file on the server, it shows an old date: 19-5-2009. Gedcom Configuration > Edit Options > Synchronize edits into GEDCOM file is (and was) enabled. However: it doesn't seem to work, since I can't find some cross check updates in the gedcom file. What should I do now?

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2012-01-28

Some VERY major changes from PhpGedView v4.1.2 to v4.2.4 (BTW - you should be upgrading to 4.3 from the SVN as is posted in the HELP forum. 4.2.4 has some serious bugs as well!

Hopefully you
    1) approved any changes pending in the GEDCOM
    2) EXPORTED or DOWNLOADED a new GEDCOM
    3) Did NOT overwrite your MEDIA folder.
    4) Did NOT overwrite your LANGUAGE folder if you had any customized files.
    5) IMPORTED the recent saved/downloaded/exported GEDCOM
    This last step will repopulate the new fields (especially the new gender field) and solve your problems (some that you have not yet noticed).

For heaven sake, turn off SYNC, if you have been using it. It is a throwback to an old concept and resolution to an old problem, both of which are no longer necessary due to changes in the code and, it is a terrible hit on performance. All the writes to your disk take a lot of time, consume a lot of system resources and is not a good backup plan.  If you don't have a regular backup routine, establish one now.

-Stephen

• Rob

Rob - 2012-01-28

Where is v4.3 located?

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2012-01-28

OMG

you should be upgrading to 4.3 from the SVN as is posted in the HELP forum.

I just BUMPED the topic earlier today.

• Rob

Rob - 2012-01-28

Ok. Although I got some errors importing the downloaded gedcom file, all seems to be working well. I will upgrade to v4.3 a.s.a.p. Thanks for your help!

• Rob

Rob - 2012-01-28

Done. No issues so far.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-01-28

Please be assured that any problems you encounter in 4.3.0 (the one you just downloaded and installed) also exist in 4.2.4.  In fact, this version is much more stable than the "stable" 4.2.4 that was released over a year ago.  There's been no significant development - just a lot of bug fixes.

If you encounter problems with 4.3.0, we can look into fixing them or finding a way around them.  No promises, though. 

• Rob

Rob - 2012-01-29

I have a couple of remarks. I found out linking from multimedia to pages on the website doesn't work flawlessly anymore.

Somehow it is making an error with the URL. In my case that is http:////indilist.php?ged=.ged&surname= instead of http:///indilist.php?ged=.ged&surname= like it used to be.

Another point I'd like to make is: if v4.2.4 is not stable, why is the SourceForge community advertising this not so stable version on this page? Most visitors looking for the latest version will end up there in the first place…

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-01-29

For (a):  I don't understand what you're trying to describe.  If you can e-mail me:  gkroll at keldine dot ca  with a URL to you your site where I can observe the problem, that would help.  The URL you send me would, of course not require a login.

For (b):  4.3.0 hasn't been released.  It's still under development.  There's nobody working on preparing a release.

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2012-01-29

vanslooten
    I don't want to appear as persnickety or impertinent, but your tone is argumentative to me.

Most visitors looking for the latest version will end up there in the first place…

I think that most visitors would look at the release date and begin to wonder about the project, don't you think? I am always reluctant to consider any project that appears to be stagnant. Wanting to know more, I would look at that project's forum posts and there (PGV forums) I would have discovered a lot of information about this project's current status. In the two years, there are tons of posts about PGV's state of development (a very stable project without any significant development) and the many bug fixes that Gerry and I have posted to the SVN code.

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2012-01-29

In my case that is http:////indilist.php?ged=.ged

Your double entry of the /mywebsite/ is a misconfiguration in your config.ini.php file. I think you will find you need to leave the site URL blank.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-01-30

Stephen:
    Please back off a little.  The user is essentially a "newbie", since a move from that ancient version of PGV to the latest-and-greatest is a very BIG step.

I received an e-mail from the user almost immediately after I posted my reply.  He had kindly set up a test userid on his site and provided all the information I asked for.

It turns out that the problem was NOT with media at all.  Some of the Notes in his database contained URLs that did not work properly.  I noticed that the URLs that did not work were malformed in the Notes text.  Instead of starting with http:// , these URLs started with http:/  (i.e., a single slash following the colon instead of the required double slash).

I recommended that the user correct the Notes text.  I suggested that if there were a lot of URLs that were incorretly formed, the best approach would be to edit the GEDCOM and then re-import.

I have not yet heard back from the user, but I strongly suspect that the problem will go away.