Cannot create PDF reports

Help
2009-06-23
2013-05-30
  • Andy Lister

Andy Lister - 2009-06-23

I have recently installed PHPGEDVIEW 4.2.1 and am very impressed with the results so far.

However, the reports option is not working when I ask it for a PDF.

TCPDF ERROR: Some data has already been output, can't send PDF file

Any suggestions from more experienced users where I might look for the solution ?

Thanks

Andy

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2009-06-23

I believe this bug has been fixed in the next version (4.2.2), which we hope will be released soon.

• Ronald

Ronald - 2011-04-20

Hi, I have installed the 4.2.2 stable release on my WHS 2003 server and it works fine. However I seem to have the same problem when trying to run PDF reports (HTML is fine). The strange thing is that it only gives me the TCPDF error in the default language (in my case Dutch) nut when I change the language to for instance French or English, it runs fine.

Anyone who had the same problem?

Thanks

Ronald

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-04-21

There's something wrong with your Dutch language files.

We can't help you fix this problem - 4.2.2 is MUCH too old.  You should be running at least 4.2.4, but you need to verify that your server has PDO enabled.

We strongly recommend that you install and run the "SVN" version since that includes bug fixes (but no new features) that became available after 4.2.4 was released in January.  The SVN version can be downloaded using the download link posted in the recent Help topic that begins with "Repost:"

Note that the SVN version self-identifies as "4.3.0 svn".

• Ronald

Ronald - 2011-04-21

Sorry, my mistake, I have 4.2.4 stable installed. How can I check if PDO is enabled. I checked the PHP.ini file and that seems to have all the extensions listed.

Ronald

• Ronald

Ronald - 2011-04-21

Thanks. I have now upgrade my server to 4.3.0 SVN and indeed the TCPDF error is gone. I can now produce PDF reports in dutch language without a problem.

Is there an (easy) way to change the layout of the report. Couple of things I would like to do:
    -Change the single character for B to reflect the word Birth and instead of D the word Diseased
    -Embold the names in the report
    -remove all the additional spaces in the text

Thanks Ronald

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2011-04-21

Copy the report. Modify the name slightly and change the XML to whatever you wish. Install the 'revised' report in the same folder. Upon refresh, the report should be recognized.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-04-22

You might have to delete the "reports.dat" file in your "index" directory.

Removing the additional spaces will not be easy.  There's significant programming required to achieve this (I've tried, and NOT been very successful).  The other changes should be easy to implement by modifying the XML.

• Ronald

Ronald - 2011-04-22

Thanks. I have made the changes and all worked fine till I made one more change. It appeared to me that I was missing one word in the report and when looking at the XML report it became apparent that the report did not pick up a value for pgv_lang. When I wanted to edit this in the lang_nl file using the admin edit function, it shows no english value too.
    I was then trying to edit it through the english language file, but again no base value available. So the only way I could make a change was to go into the lang_en file using notepad and change the value to "on". Everything looked OK when I was going back in again through the admin function, but when I subsequently ran the report, it returned the infamous TCPDF error again. It now happened in both the english and dutch version.

So I copied the original language files back again from the SVN versions and was able to run reports again. It appears it did not like me to edit the base language file through notepad., but I don't see any other way to do this.

How can I fix this?

thanks, Ronald

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2011-04-22

Ronald
    NEVER edit the language files. Use the 'extra' feature, described in these help forums and on the wiki, to modify existing variable terms and add new ones. For Englich: lang.en.extra.php. For Dutch: lang.nl.extra.php. etc

I see the variable in my language files so you may change the spacing with the extra file:
    $pgv_lang = " ";

-Stephen

• Ronald

Ronald - 2011-04-22

Stephen
    OK will check out how I can use the extra file.
    I can see the same value as you quote, but my main question is why doesn't this variable $pgv_lang carry the value "on" instead of "blank".  This is currently creating extra spaces in the reports (all the others I have been able to remove)

Ronald

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2011-04-22

Feel free to add ON to your extra file. It was considered unnecessary to the report content.

Stephen was born 19 OCT 1949   is less cumbersome, especially for translations, than Stephen was born on 19 OCT 1949.
    The information conveyed and, in English, the grammar is correct. In other languages, it may be necessary to add the preposition, hence the need for the variable and its placeholder position.

-Stephen

• Ronald

Ronald - 2011-04-22

ok thanks

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-04-22

Actually, the grammar becomes horrible when the date is not exact.  For example, if you know only the month and/or year, you would have to say "was born in 1949".  It's even worse when you don't even know the year for sure:  "was born about 1949" or "was born between 1949 and 1951".  In the "about" and "between" cases, the "about" and "between" part of the date is returned by the function, so "on" or "in" would have to be dropped altogether.  What about "estimated" and "calculated"?

The problem is that there's no function that returns not only the date but also an indication of whether we're dealing with an exact date or an imprecise one and what the nature of the imprecision is.

The problem with your editing the language files using Notepad is that Notepad saves the file as UTF-8, with a Byte order Mark (BOM) at the beginning.  You need to open and save the file as a pure text (ASCII) file.  In ASCII format, some special characters will appear as garbage.  That "garbage" should NOT be touched.

You'll have the same problem with the "extra" language files.  Make SURE they're saved as pure text, not as UTF-8.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks