Question about edits...

Help
tthdoc
2011-05-22
2013-05-30
  • tthdoc

tthdoc - 2011-05-22

I have always told relatives that they didn't have to worry about making a mistake editing on the site as no edit went "live" until I had accepted them.  Users are set up with edit rights and are not accepted automatically.  I have a second account set up for myself with the user settings for testing purposes.  To explain, here is what I see happening. 

A user John Smith goes to his record.  He edits name to John David Smith.
    I log in with my test user.  I would have thought that I would see John Smith since nothing has been accepted by admin.  But what I see is the green box and red box the same as when I go to site as admin and view diff.
    Is there some setting or way to change this.  I someone puts in a lot of bogus info or changes a lot of things incorrectly, I don't want all the family members who are looking at the site to see any of this until it is accepted by me.

I am using 4.2.4 stable.

Hope that made sense.
    Doc

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2011-05-22

Doc
    Think about it. You would not want to hide changes from editing users. If you did (and PGV did for a short while) then you would have the users re-modifying the same data over and over again, not understanding why they could not see a change.
    The RED and BLUE pending changes blocks do not appear to non-registered members. They see only the data as unmodified.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-05-22

All editing users are treated the same way - anybody with editing rights will see the old and the new.  There's no distinction between editing users who "own" the change and those who don't.

• Stephen Arnold

Doc
    Reconfirmation:

There's no distinction between editing users who "own" the change and those who don't.

Right, Just another way of saying: "you would have the users re-modifying the same data over and over again, not understanding why they could not see a change. The RED and BLUE pending changes blocks do not appear to non-registered members. " from my previous post.
    -Stephen

• tthdoc

tthdoc - 2011-05-22

Thanks for the replys.  Stephen, understood with the multiple edits.  I was thinking more along the lines that only the person making the edits would see them, not others.  This is what Gerry addressed.  I don't know which file(s) this is addressed, but it must check to see if the user has edit rights to determine if they see the red and blue pending changes.  Does it also have a way to check the user who made the edits.  If so, then it should not be too difficult to add a check in the routine to see if 1) the user has edit rights, and then a second check if the user is the user who made the edit.  Gerry, could you maybe let me know if this would be possible and what files to look to?  If I get some time I could play around with it.

Thanks,
    Doc

• Stephen Arnold

Doc
    Once upon a time, PGV only let those who made the change and the admin see those changes. What a MESS! I had other editors making additions or changes to the records that had already been changed, and the approval process had to be followed exactly (in order of time of change) and then only the last changes would be effected.

I think you need to think about this again. Only registered users with EDIT RIGHTS can see that there are pending changes. What harm is that? Under what conditions would you wish to hide those changes from others? And lastly, I can't imagine that changes are not approved on your system frequently. We have about 200+ changes per day and these are usually reviewed and authorized a couple of times each day, maybe only once, but never more than 24 hours. Again, why all the rig-a-ma-row and code changes specifically for you when the change doesn't seem to me to make much sense?
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-05-23

It seems as though Doc has set things up so that every logged-in user is allowed to edit.  If that's the case, why not just educate the users as to what the meaning of those red and blue boxes is?

On my site, only one other user is allowed to edit, and he hasn't done so in over two years.  I prefer to keep things that way, so that I can be sure of consistency and to be certain that changes to the on-line database are reflected in the two off-line copies I also keep.  One of these off-line databases is actually the "master".

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks