How do I add an unmarried partner and her children?

Help
2013-06-07
2013-06-07
  • Harald Bregel

Harald Bregel - 2013-06-07

There is a somewhat convoluted relationship in one branch of my family. This man is still married and has a couple of children from his marriage. I have no problems to add his wife and these children in PhpGedView. He is still married to his wife. So far the history which may or may not be relevant for my actual question:

In the meantime he is living with another woman and has two more children with her. How do I add her as an unmarried mother and her/his children in PhpGedView AND somehow link her and her children to him?

Or is there no way to establish this "loose" link between the mother with her children and him?

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2013-06-07

Create a FAMily record and use the _NMR tag for the relationship. The easiest way to do this is navigate to the father's page, use the link to "Add a child to create a one-parent family" at the bottom on the Family Members tab. This will create a one parent family. Add the wife to the family, but use the _NMR tag and it should display as Partner. This tag requires a 1 _NMR Y yes. There is no such thing as a NO on a tag. Add the other child.

• Harald Bregel

Harald Bregel - 2013-06-07

Well, somehow I went in a circle when I tried to follow your advice and at the same time tried to merge the records of the unmarried partner and her two children with the still married father. Somewehere I must have goofed; finally I edited the raw record with the NMR tag (thank you for this hint!), created the three persons a second time and erased the three "old" records. Now the relationships are what I wanted.
    Special thanks for your prompt response!

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2013-06-07

Great. Next time you'll know to avoid the creation if they already exist. Simply annotate the FAM record.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks