Site is currently unavailable

Help
2012-05-30
2013-12-24
  • Bill Lancaster

Bill Lancaster - 2012-05-30

My pgv website now shows the pgv login page but with the message "Site is currently unavailable"

The server is working fine, I can access all the files and examine the database through phpmyadmin.

1) Is there a way to fix this problem?

or

2) Can a gedcom file be generated without having access to the pgv pages?

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-05-30

The "site unavailable" error occurs when PhpGedView can't access the database.  The database connection parameters configured into PGV are wrong.

There are two ways to proceed:
    1. Edit the existing "config.php" file that's in the server directory where PhpGedView is installed.  You would download that file using your favourite FTP client, edit the file on your local PC using any suitable text editor such as Notepad, and then upload the modified file back to the server.  Be sure to save that file as an ASCII text file.  UTF-8 coding is NOT acceptable.

2. Replace the existing "config.php" file with a fresh copy from the set of files that you used to originally install PGV.  Be sure to set the permissions on that file to 777 so that you can set up the PGV configuration properly once you launch PGV.

Approach (1) should get you going right away. 

Approach (2), which is the preferred method, will launch the Setup wizard when you next launch PGV.  Just go through the configuration steps, remembering to click the "Next" button at each stage, so that your configuration will be saved properly.  When you're asked to log in, just use the previously defined admin userid.

• Bill Lancaster

Bill Lancaster - 2012-05-30

Gerry,
    Thanks very much!
    I now have access to my pgv
    Bill

• frank

frank - 2013-12-24

Yes. Thank you. Approach 1 fixed my situation too. I had to update the mySQL password.