Denial by IP

Help
Thomas52
2013-06-06
2013-07-03
  • Thomas52

Thomas52 - 2013-06-06

Yesterday, after some eye surgery, I hit the wrong key and was "locked out" of my website for a hour or so. I know I can deny hackers or others using the Site Manager "Denial by IP," but is there a way to enter an IP that is NOT to be blocked?

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2013-06-06

In a nutshell: "no".

The timed access denial is only for an hour and is lifted automatically after that time. It's part of the hacker detection.

If you want to adjust the time-out, you can do that in "includes/session_spider.php" around line 228.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2013-06-07

There's no point in implementing a "don't ever deny this IP address". Whenever you re-boot your cable or ADSL modem, you're very likely to get a new IP address. Your apparently static IP address isn't static at all.

My ISP will reassign IP addresses without my having re-booted the ADSL modem. It all depends on the lease length of the IP address.

• Thomas52

Thomas52 - 2013-07-02

No, my IP stays the same for a year or more, but I just had another block for some reason.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2013-07-03

Did you read my response to your post in the "Discussion" forum?

There's a bug in PGV that happens when you use the "Back" link on the Edit User page, followed by an attempt to send a message to a user. The bug won't be fixed any time soon. The block only lasts for an hour, and there's a way to avoid the bug in the first place.

My response tells you how to get around the bug.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks