Help with how names are displayed

Help
2011-08-25
2013-05-30
  • Steve Meres

Steve Meres - 2011-08-25

Hello,
    I am new to using phpGedview, so bear with me. I have everything set up, and appears to be working fine, except for one thing.  All the names show up as something similar to this:   ‎(unknown)‎ MOSER Warren Josiah  ‎(I28)‎ ,but on roostweb it shows up without the (unknown) prepended.  All the names in the gedcom fil show up this way.  Is there a way to change a config file, etc, to eliminate this/

Thank you.

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2011-08-26

meres
    PGV follows the GEDCOM standards for recording and displaying names:

1 NAME Given-name /Surname/              //please note the // surrounding the SURNAME portion of the NAME line, as well as the preceding space

Additionally, PGV adds the acceptable Name portion tags in support of the 1 NAME line:

1 NAME John /Smith/
    2 GIVN John
    2 SURN Smith

It also supports Prefix, suffix and nickname additions:

1 NAME Dr John "Jack" /Smith/ Jr
    2 NPFX Dr
    2 GIVN John
    2 NICK Jack
    2 SUTN Smith
    2 NSFX Jr

Either your NAME structure, which can exist by itself without supporting subordinate tags, or some portion of the subordinate tags are leading to your issues.  Review the raw code and see why, comparing it to the examples above.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-08-26

If you don't understand Stephen's reply, you can email me a ZIP copy of your GEDCOM, and I'll have a look at it for you.

If it's not too large, I'll even take the time to fix it.

e-mail:  gkroll at keldine dot ca

• Steve Meres

Steve Meres - 2011-09-01

Thank you all for the replies…..been away, but back now.  I will try Stephen's suggestion…if I get completely flummoxed I will send the GEDCOM over to canajun2eh

Thank you again.