change place hierarchy

Help
Mabou T.
2011-08-09
2013-05-30
  • Mabou T.

Mabou T. - 2011-08-09

I have a gedcom from legacytree of more or less 2000 records, all locations are formated:
    Country, State/Province, County, City
    this is a lot easier because normally we know at least the Country but not the rest.
    but when I import it in phpgedview the defaul is:
    "Places are encoded in the form: City, County, State/Province, Country (Default) "
    how can I change this default?
    Many thanks in advance!

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2011-08-09

Are you absolutely sure your PLAC structure is in reverse order? This would be quite unusual.
    I can't think of any way to quickly reverse them, and you can't use them in reverse order in PGV or any other gedcom program I know.

Why not post a small raw GEDCOM clip here as an example.
    BTW, what would be 'a lot easier' if you know only the country?  Both would be entered into a GEDCOM as:
    1 PLAC England

-Stephen

• Mabou T.

Mabou T. - 2011-08-09

tahnk you for your answer.
    my data goes from top to low
    i.e.
    Argentina, Provincia de Entre Ríos, Ciudad de Nogoyé -country, province, city
    México, D.F. ‎(Iglesia Asunción)‎  -country, city, church for christening
    France, Aquitaine, Gironde, Bordeaux -country, region, department, arrondisssement
    Ecuador, Virreinato del Perú, Riobamba -country, region, city
    etc…

• Mabou T.

Mabou T. - 2011-08-09

ah! and it is a lot easier, because I understand otherwise you need to enter
    ,,,Argentina
    when you don't know other data.
    am I wrong?

• Stephen Arnold

Correct, you can only enter what you know to be true.
    PLEASE post a raw gedcom snippet showing the PLAC structure in the gedcom text.
    Legacy follows most gedcom standards and I really doubt that it reverses the PLAC structure. It MAY display it that way, but not necessarily retain it that way.

-Stephen

• Stephen Arnold

According to their website and demo video, Legacy stores and displays their PLAC hierarchy within the gedcom in precisely the same fashion as PGV:
    http://www.legacyfamilytree.net/videos/new7/What%27sNewInLegacy7.html
    Look at MAPPING.

They may not store their PLACE LOCATIONS in the database in the same order or manner, but that is not relevant as you do not use other programs' place_locations' table with PGV. This is generated by importing from your gedcom or using CSV files.

-Stephen

• Mabou T.

Mabou T. - 2011-08-10

Hi Stephen, I manually corrected the data in Legacy.  Thank you for your help!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks