couple that not are married

Help
wmark
2005-10-01
2013-05-30
  • wmark

wmark - 2005-10-01

If I registers a couple  that not are married, in Family Group Information-Marriage, so receives I on the Female name as married on her. How does I solves it. She have not her partners name.
    Lars

• Laie Techie

Laie Techie - 2005-10-03

Edit the female's name, removing the "married name"

• Daniel Strickland

The best I can figure at the moment is to uncheck the check-box at the top of the editor.

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2012-11-09

If I registers a couple  that not are married, in Family Group Information-Marriage, so receives I on the Female name as married on her.

Lars, this is not entirely true that the female name is automatically entered into the database, ONLY within the married name field. Before you approve the addition, you should remove the married name, OR, modify your naming scheme on your Admin Edit Options and remove the _MARNM from the form entirely.

Second, it is well discussed elsewhere that, if you wish to 'pair' a couple through a non-sanctified or non-legal union (temporary partner, one-time-stand, or ongoing relationship outside of marriage), you should use the _NMR tag to reflect that relationship. When using the Add a Spouse GUI, simply untick the MARR box and then, when the spouse is in the system, you would go to the FAM record and add the _NMR tag.

Did you ever think that, if you always went from female to male spouses, you would not be offered the _MARNM autocompleted field?  ;-))    However, simply take the field away and then, on the occasion you wish to have a spouse take the partner's name, you can use a second NAME record to apply that. Actually, a second name with a type MARRIED is the most proper way to record a married person's name, not with the _MARNM name field which is a custom field not supported by the GEDCOM standard.
    -Stephen