Menu

Fixing a GEDCOM imported from FindMyPast

Help
2019-11-17
2019-11-19
  • David Ledger

David Ledger - 2019-11-17

Awhile ago I signed up wih FindMyPast and uploaded my Gedcom file exported from phpgedview with the intention of periodically back-fitting the Gedcom from there into phpgedview.

Although FindMyPast is very good for discovering infprmation it is no good at maintaining Gedcom files. I made a lot of progress that I don't want to lose. I've downloaded the Gedcom and imported it into a new phpgedview instance. It was a mess. FMP can automatically add people and their details when you indicate that a person on your tree is thesame as someone they have found for you. Unfotunately if your record is 'Thomas' and theirs is 'Tom' you get a new person. They also made several other types of error. I think I've now corrected all of those within phpgedview.

When I use the phpgedview checker it shows many missing Media records, which is hardly surprising as the Gedcom download fro FMP didn't supply matching images, but when I use Edit -> Edit Raw GEDCOM Record I find that there is not one Media record for an individual, but many. Three missing Media links can have tens of identical entries within one INDI record. I can manually Edit Raw Gedcom for each user, but there are possiblly hundreds of INDI records affected. I'm not averse to doing a bit of SQL manipulation, but before I investigate the table structures I would like to know if doing so would cause other problems. If I were to delete all but one copy of a '1 OBJE @M211@' (say) record from an INDI, would they be missed by other data, such as a 'count of OBJEs for INDI x'? If not then I can hope to work out how to do such removals (hints appreciated). I would then need to work out which downloaded images match each @Mxxx@ and get them into phpgedview. Or remove all unmatched Media records and import from scratch. Again, hints appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2019-11-17

Firstly, you should be using the latest-and-greatest PhpGedView that you downloaded as an SVN snapshot. This is version 4.3.1, which has not yet been officially released. Recent posts in the Discussion forum provide download instructions and hints on how you can reduce the size of your PhpGedView installation on the server.

Your duplicate Media records are probably the result of importing a GEDCOM that contains media information into a database that also contains media information, and telling the Import process to not delete media information from the existing database.

If you have a mix of media sources (existing on the server, and also incoming from FMP), your only option is to manually edit the GEDCOM.

This is probably most easily accomplished by exporting the PhpGedView database to a GEDCOM file that you download to your local PC, and then feeding the GEDCOM into a text editor and doing the edits outside PhpGedView. When you save your edited GEDCOM file, be sure to save it as a plain ASCII file.

When you re-import the edited (and hopefully corrected) GEDCOM, be sure to tell PhpGedView that you do NOT wish to retain exsting media links.

• David Ledger

David Ledger - 2019-11-19

On 11/17/19 5:44 PM, Gerry Kroll wrote:

Firstly, you should be using the latest-and-greatest PhpGedView that you
      downloaded as an SVN snapshot. This is version 4.3.1, which has not yet
      been officially released. Recent posts in the Discussion forum provide
      download instructions and hints on how you can reduce the size of your
      PhpGedView installation on the server.

Your duplicate Media records are probably the result of importing a
      GEDCOM that contains media information into a database that also
      contains media information, and telling the Import process to not delete
      media information from the existing database.

If you have a mix of media sources (existing on the server, and also
      incoming from FMP), your only option is to manually edit the GEDCOM.

This is probably most easily accomplished by exporting the PhpGedView
      database to a GEDCOM file that you download to your local PC, and then
      feeding the GEDCOM into a text editor and doing the edits outside
      PhpGedView. When you save your edited GEDCOM file, be sure to save it as
      a plain ASCII file.

When you re-import the edited (and hopefully corrected) GEDCOM, be sure
      to tell PhpGedView that you do NOT wish to retain exsting media links.

Thanks Gerry

I am running 4.3.0 but can't find 4.3.1. All the sourceforge downloads
      that I can see say they are 4.3.0. Where is the 4.3.1 update please?

I've done the export Gedcom, edit, load into a fresh tree, and that has
      fixed the missing @M... records. Thanks for that. I only had four before
      using FMP. I have over 2000 individuals and hundreds of downloaded
      images to add.

There are still more errors I have no doubt. Just fixed one where FMP
      made someone his own uncle. It didn't add the backlink so the 'check'
      function found it.

David

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2019-11-19

The topmost post in the Discussion forum:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/phpgedview/discussion/185165/thread/cec4e63af9/
    contains all the information you need. It's not very clear that you have to click on the "download snapshot" button once you follow the link in that post.

As I've said many times already, there is not yet an official download of the 4.3.1 version. The SVN snapshot pointed to is equivalent to the complete 4.3.1 . You get the 4.3.1 version by downloading an SVN snapshot.

If the GEDCOM created by FMP contains media information that refers to a media structure on your local PC, you can get PhpGedView to do the linking for you. Just copy the media and their subdirectories from your local PC to the server's /media directory, give everything you copied 777 permissions, and then import the GEDCOM created by FMP into PhpGedView. Tell PhpGedView to not retain existing media links in the database.

If you wish to do this, please e-mail me a ZIP copy of the GEDCOM created by FMP so that I can have a look at the existing local media structure. You may need to make a minor configuration change in PhpGedView to accommodate that local media directory structure.

e-mail: gkroll (at) keldine (dot) ca

Last edit: Gerry Kroll 2019-11-19