Dodgy Install

• Anonymous - 2012-02-04

Hi,I have just installed Phpgedview but it doesnot appear tobe working correctly,will someone please log in and tell me if it looks right. I am not sure what I was expecting but there does not seem any functionality? the website is login is smeagain password rudges. When I click on the welcomepage nothing changes same for my gedview or my account. I am not sure what should be there really

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2012-02-05

Where is your family tree? It would appear you have yet to import same.
    PGV doesn't know where to go or what to do until there is a GEDCOM

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-02-05

Your site is working normally but you have not as yet entered any information into the genealogical part of the database.

In future, PLEASE do NOT post any valid login credentials, especially if they have Admin rights.  Instead, you should ask for help, describing the problem to the best of your ability, and then exchange login information by e-mail with whoever offers to help you. 

I strongly recommend that you change the Admin userid of your site as soon as possible. If you're not sure how to do this, you can e-mail me:  gkroll at keldine dot ca  and I'll guide you through the process.

You need to load data into the database.  One way is to import a GEDCOM that contains the information.  You would do this when you've already got a lot of data that was maintained by some other program such as Family Tree Maker, PAF, Legacy, Aldfaer, etc.  You export that program's database to a GEDCOM and then import the resultant file into PhpGedView.

The second method is what you do when you're starting from scratch.  You log into PhpGedView, and then Click on the "Create a new GEDCOM" link.  This creates an almost-empty database.  There will be one person in it, with fake data.  You change the fake data to whatever is correct and then proceed from there.

Note: You should change the privileges of your own account so that any changes you make will be automatically accepted into the database without further action required on your part.  By default, PhpGedView saves all database changes into a temporary file.  They do not become part of the database until you, as the admin, have reviewed them.  This process is a safety check to prevent others from making changes that are either incorrectly formatted or are otherwise suspect.  Presumably, changes that you make are not in this category.

You will find the Auto-Accept option when you log in as Admin, click on the User Admin link in the top menu, click on the User List option, and then click on the userid whose privileges you want to change.  The option is a checkbox titled "Automatically accept changes made by this user".

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-02-05

One more point:
    I strongly recommend that you install the "SVN" version of PhpGedView instead of whatever "stable" version you might have downloaded.  The download link and instructions for this SVN version can be found in a recent Help topic whose title begins with "Repost: …"

The other thing you might wish to consider is to start with Webtrees in preference to PhpGedView.  Webtrees is under active development, with new features being added daily.  It's far superior to PhpGedView, which has been stagnant for over a year now.  PhpGedView is being maintained (sort of), but very little new stuff is being added.

I, personally, don't plan to switch to Webtrees - I know PhpGedView inside-out, and it does the job for me.  I've used it for about 6 years now.  "It ain't broke …."  (at least, it ain't broke beyond redemption).

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks