media on server

Help
macalter
2011-12-17
2013-05-30
  • macalter

macalter - 2011-12-17

I'm having difficulty adding media to an event when the file is already uploaded. Most times I don't know the M# so enter part of last name in the Multimedia Object box and expect the M# to appear, not unlike entering part of source text or name. The image though is found. BUt selecting it puts the title text in the field box, not the M#.

If I select the camera without the + and try filter and enter the filename (ID number), it doesn't find it.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-12-17

The camera icon opens the Find Media window, as you have discovered.  You search on part of the title recorded for the media object.  The media object's file name is used as the title only when you didn't enter one when you first created the media object.

Of course, when your media files are organized into subdirectories (as mine are), you need to navigate to the desired subdirectory first.  Find Media only works in the currently active media subdirectory.

• macalter

macalter - 2011-12-17

But the problem is when I enter the title (I use lastname, firstname to start all) the M# isn't found. Like with SOUR, you can enter part of the title and then the S# will be substituted, doesn't work for media.

When I try camera icon (no +) it always fails to show the files. I use one subdirectory for all as my file names are structured instead.

The only way I can add the media is to go to the other record that uses that image and find the M#. Or use the Manage Media which of course is time consuming

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-12-17

Sorry, but it works properly for me.

Where are you entering the search terms?  You should be clicking the camera icon and then entering the search terms before clicking the "Filter" button.

I have noticed that Find Media will look not only in the Title field of the existing media object, but also in the title/name fields of all database records to which the existing media object is currently linked. 

You can search for multiple words, separated by blanks, in any order.  These multiple words have to exist in the same search target.  It appears that Find Media looks at the linked records first.  This means that a search for "foo bar" will only find the media object if both words are in either one of titles of a currently linked record or in the title of the media object itself.  If the media object's title contains "foo" and one of the currently linked records has "bar" in its title (but not "foo"), the media object won't be found.  The solution to this is to perform a less precise search and then pick the desired media object from the resulting list.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks