SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Manage Multimedia requests login

Help
2012-02-27
2013-05-30
  • Adrian Eddy

Adrian Eddy - 2012-02-27

My first post here, so hello :)

I've installed PGV 4.3.0 SVN, and when I go to MyGedView Portal -> Manage Multimedia, I'm requested to login… but this is when I'm logged in already! If I login, the same page comes up but at the top of the screen it shows me as logged out. Login again and the same page comes up, but with me logged in. I can't get past this page.
    Have I got one of the settings wrong?
    Is there an alternative way of getting to Manage Multimedia?

Thanks,

Adrian

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2012-02-28

Chances are, you have not followed the directions on site configuration and you have instead entered a URL for your site or Login URL. These need be entered only under very specific and rare configurations (and even then, they may cause redirect problems). Too, if you operate in a sub-domain or in a frame, your login will almost certainly be screwed up using IE 6/7/8 and possibly even with IE 9.  Generally speaking we do not recommend IE anything.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-02-28

If yu wish, you can e-mail me login credentials and your site's URL so that I can see this in action.

The login credentials would, of course, need Admin rights (so that I can see the Manage Media page).

Please create a temporary userid with Admin rights - don't send me the real ID.  That way, you can delete this temporary ID when we're done.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2012-02-29

I received the requested URL and login credentials.

The solution turned out to be very simple:  Manage Media requires that the on-line editing of the GEDCOM be enabled.

When you think about it, on-line editing of the GEDCOM is a bit of mis-direction:  you're actually performing on-line editing of the database contents.  Manage Media is also doing on-line editing of the database contents.  Thus, if on-line editing is not permitted by the GEDCOM configuration, Manage Media isn't going to be very happy.

The programming in media.php (the Manage Media script) is not very good.  It should produce an error message when on-line editing has been disabled.  Instead, it just launches login.php to request another user login.  There's no way that a user login is going to fix the problem, especially if there's no meaningful error message first.

I won't be fixing this piece of bad programming.  We'll just have to keep this requirement in mind should the same problem occur again.

• Adrian Eddy

Adrian Eddy - 2012-02-29

Thanks for checking it out :)