Edit/Copy/Delete Event: What does Copy do?

Victor H.
2009-02-10
2013-05-30
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Victor H.

Victor H. - 2009-02-10

On both individual and family pages, events have the small edit/copy/delete popup when you mouse over them. I use 'edit' and 'delete' frequently. When I click on 'copy' it pops a small window which instantly disappears. If I go to a text editor, there is nothing to paste. So what on earth does 'copy' do?

• Greg Roach

Greg Roach - 2009-02-10

<<So what on earth does 'copy' do?  >>

It gets added to the list of events you can add.  You can copy up to 5 items.

Useful for adding a census entry to one person, then copying it to all the others in the household.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2009-02-10

To be a bit more precise:
      The "copy" option copies the event to PGV's internal clipboard. 

The clipboard can contain up to 5 such copied events, and you can select which of these events in the clipboard to add.  This operation copies all associated details about the event too.

If you try to add a 6th event to the clipboard, the oldest one is deleted and everything is pushed up, so that the new event is at the bottom of the list.

• Victor H.

Victor H. - 2009-02-10

Ah! All this time I've been copying the raw gedcom and pasting it into the new fam/indi, then editing it. Where and how then does one 'paste' this clipboard info into an individual, and is there a way to see what's in the PGV clipboard?

• Stew Stronski

Stew Stronski - 2009-02-10

You know I've tried this before and never found out how to paste an event in anywhere. The Help says you can select the event to paste from the drop-down list but I've never found such an event available. I use Firefox most of the time so maybe that's the problem. Or maybe the "paste" needs to be added in the edit options?

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2009-02-10

The Personal details tab of the Indi page has an option at the bottom, "Add new fact".  When the clipboard is not empty, the clipboard is shown at the bottom of the fact list.  You can select which of the clipboard's facts should be added.

I'll change that, so that the clipboard is at the top of the fact list.  I think it makes a bit more sense that way.

• Stew Stronski

Well for some reason this does NOT show for me in Firefox 3 or in IE 7. The bottom item is always "Custom Event [EVEN]". Where is the clipboard stored? Is it dependent on some server setting?

• Anonymous - 2009-02-10

Stew, ot works fine for me in FF and IE. One trick though - you need to either refresh your browser after 'Copy', or Click 'Copy' then go to a new INDI. You will find the new fact at the very bottom of the list.

• Stew Stronski

Ok I found the problem now. You can't copy from family to individual. I usually add the census to the family and then add it to the children of that family who appear in that particular year's census. So it doesn't help me at all. It's a good idea though.

• Anonymous - 2009-02-10

True - so change to adding CENS to individuals (grin).

Seriously, overall, with the use of the Copy feature plus the new Navigator pane, it's SO much easier once your mind gets round to the (true) concept of census being a "household" rather than a "family".

Saves the complications of those occassions when husband and children are in one place, but the wife is visiting her sister somewhere else! There are NO complications when adding to individuals. You just work through the list. Start at the 'Head", Create, copy, new INDI, add, new INDI, add, new INDI, add etc...

• Stew Stronski

I like adding the census to the family page for one simple reason. I can paste the full entry and then paste snippets from each person's entry in as well. So I put the full entry for the "Head" with the district, folio, etc stuff. And then paste age, PoB, etc. for each other person present in that census. So at one stroke I have full details of each person on the Fam Page and on the indi page of the mother and father. It saves having to change pages to see what John Jr. was doing while his dad was farming.

In cases where an individual wasn't present I usually put a not to that effect saying where/why if known.

Of course your "census as household" approach makes sense too. Maybe I'll try it one day :)

• Wes Groleau

Wes Groleau - 2009-02-11

If you put the census record on the family, PGV will display it on both HUSB and WIFE whether or not either of them was actually present.

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2009-02-11

Wes,
          Actually no - this doesn't or at least shouldn't happen, at least if you have a DOD.  All events after a DOD of one of the INDI's will cause PGV to cease display of the events occuring in the FAM record page (RESI, CENS, etc) AFTER that DOD.  If no DOD is present, PGV does display the events as it would assume a living status.

Also, if there is a DIV and someone inadvertantly continues to add FAM facts, these facts will still appear on the two INDI PF&D page as it wouldn't know which one to guess was no longer in the FAM as actually the FAM ceases to exist after that DIV.

Stephen

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2009-02-10

A Census is a count of people, not of family members.

You can't assume that people with the same surname living at the same address are related.  Neither can you assume that people who don't share a surname but live at the same address are not related.

This is the "Fallacy of the undistributed middle", if you've ever taken Logic or Philosophy at university.

• Stew Stronski

Stew Stronski - 2009-02-11

<<If you put the census record on the family, PGV will display it on both HUSB and WIFE whether or not either of them was actually present.>>

It will only happen if one of the spouses was away from the home on the day of the census. In some families, with sailors perhaps, that might happen often enough to make it an issue. In my case I have only had it happen once. In one case I had the husband, wife and youngest child missing and the 2 older children were each staying with a different set of grand-parents. And in another instance I had both parents, the youngest child and a nephew all included in the census return in 2 different towns with the rest of the family only appearing in the first, which was a bit strange.

Of course no DoD does muck up the works a bit, but in those cases I usually add it only to the surviving spouse rather than the family. I'm considering a change in the way I do it but I still haven't decided. There's something to be said for both methods I suppose. Perhaps using a family note for the census and then adding the actual census fact to individuals might work as well.

• Wes Groleau

Wes Groleau - 2009-02-12

"It will only happen if one of the spouses was away from the home"

meaning _spouse_not_present_ will only happen.  That, and all the other examples you offered confirm the advice of others: put CENS on the individuals it applies to.  If you have to enter a CENS records on a family and then paste it onto all children, boarders, in-laws, nephews, etc. then why not just make it an INDI even anyway?  When you put it on the FAM, all you are saving is one single paste operation.

• Stew Stronski

Stew Stronski - 2009-02-12

<<When you put it on the FAM, all you are saving is one single paste operation.  >>

Saving work is NOT why I like to have the census on the family page. I like it on the family page because it gives a "snapshot" of the family at a certain point in time. Who is at home? Who isn't at home? I don't think of the census as any absolute indicator of anything. In fact it is frequently inaccuarate.

It's just a look at one particular day out of a span of years. Like a family portrait. I can look at that and wonder why xxxxxx is in school and his younger brother is working. Why is xxxxxx boarding with them? Is he/she a friend of the family or is money tight and they need a little extra?

• Wes Groleau

Wes Groleau - 2009-02-13

That was the reason I at first put the entire census record on the family page.

I stopped, because I didn't like having it copied to both husband and wife.

To me, it makes sense to have on an INDI page the LINE for the indiv, plus the common part.

But you said you were copying it to every individual.

• Victor H.

Victor H. - 2009-02-13

Gerry and Greg: thanks for this info. I have been pasting away like a madman these past few days.

• Julio Sánchez Fernández

What I'd love to have is pasting of source references, when I am adding data I usually add many facts on many people from the same source, say a letter, or a page from a book, etc.  I'd love not to have to write again and again things like the date in the source, the page and other data that repeat in many source references.

Copying and pasting complete events, I don't find very useful myself, though I agree CENS entries might be a case.

• Anonymous - 2009-03-11

Gerry

Earlier in this thread you commented:
      "I'll change that, so that the clipboard is at the top of the fact list. I think it makes a bit more sense that way."

I think thats a good idea as well. Any chance you would have time to do it?

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2009-03-11

Kiwi:
      I forgot all about this one.  I'll do that tomorrow.

• Anonymous - 2009-03-11

Brilliant, thanks Gerry. Its a small thing, but a great help when adding a lot of similar records.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2009-03-11

SVN 5206.

I think there's been a significant improvement to the "Add from clipboard" feature.  The maximum has also been raised from 5 to 10.

I hope you like the improvement.

• Anonymous - 2009-03-11

Gerry - certainly do like the improvement. Thanks.

For those not yet able to access the change (in svn only, until 4.2.1 released) Gerry has moved the "add from clipboard" items to their own place just above "Add new Fact" instead of lost among that long drop down, only visible when there are items on the clipboard. Plus he's extended the clipboard max. to 10 items.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks