PGV Site registration

John T
2004-04-26
2013-05-30
  • John T

John T - 2004-04-26

John,

Unless I'm blind I never saw the post regarding the site registration.  I had previously registered at Kurt's list, however while reviewing Open Discussion forum, I noticed the link to the PGV registration page.

Perhaps this should be announced somewhere, if it was previously announced, just ignore me.

John

• John Finlay

John Finlay - 2004-04-26

Hi John,

I announced it on the Google thread in this forum because that is where the idea first came up, but perhaps I should have announced it in its own thread.

Since you have already started this thread, I will announce it here too:

You can now list your site on the http://www.phpgedview.net homepage by going to http://www.phpgedview.net/registry.php and registering your site.  This will put your site 1 click away from the main PhpGedView homepage and 2 clicks away from every other PhpGedView site.  This will be a great advantage for those of you trying to get better google hits.

--John

• István Pető

István Pető - 2004-06-24

Hi,

I think, it'd be useful if the date of registration can be seen in this page (ummm... and if the list can be ordered both by name and by date). We can pick out the latest registrations more easily and follow the spreading of PGV! :)

Bye,
        Istvn

• KosherJava

KosherJava - 2004-06-24

cool idea

• ding

ding - 2004-04-27

Great feature !

• István Pető

István Pető - 2004-11-01

Hello,

it's good to see the number of registered PGV sites growing... However, it'd be cool if people can use this feature other ways besides the imporvement of site traffic. I have thought it over and found out the following possible development ways:
      - Advanced searching/filtering methods: Since many useful attributes of the sites (like suported languages and version) are stored in DB, I think it'd be quite easy to make possible that people can filter the registered sites by them...
      - As I wrote in my previous post, ordering the sites by date can help us to pick up the latest registrations.
      - Maybe it wouldn't be useless if an email address would be required (or users can set an email addy) in order to inform them e.g. about the latest releases... I saw that lots of the registered sites have v3.0 and a few of them still have v2.xx :O I think thay can be encouraged to upgrade by the help of these 'newsletters'...

Regards,
      Istvn

• John Finlay

John Finlay - 2004-11-01

Sourceforge already has ways to monitor file packages so that you can be notified when a new release is available.

Also, even if people upgraded, they would still have to come back to the registry page and update their entry with the new version number.

I think that a list of the most recent registrations is a good idea. I just haven't had time to program it.

I have hopes to be able to use this list to create a global PGV search.  I think it would be cool to search all of the PGV sites in the world from a central location.

So much to do... so little time ;)

--John