Looking for alternate CMS website package

John T
  • John T

John T - 2009-09-29

For my website I've been using PHPWebsite for years.  I feel it's time to explore my options a bit.   I've been using  PHPGedView for many years now and love it.   I keep my Genealogy data in  gedview but wish to use something that perhaps has a nice forum feature, or that blends with phpBB or the likes.   I'd like to get use a package that is gedview friendly for users/theme/etc.

Can any of you recommend a simple CMS package worthy of the time and effort?

the other john

• Anonymous - 2009-09-29

How about PhPGedView :-))

There is already a punbb module that adds the forum for you, completely integrated.

I used to use joomla, but partly because of security concerns (applies to any package that needs to share logins) I chose to see how far I could develop PGVs possibilities. I don't use a forum myself, but have a look at my site to see how much you can do within PGV.

Under 'Help' - 'About Our Families' you can see some description of what has been done.

• Lester Caine

Lester Caine - 2009-09-29

I'm coming from the other end ;)

I've been working with bitweaver since before it split from tikiwiki, and it provides the base for all my 'commercial' work. I had ported an earlier version of PGV as an installable package and that is still running, but the major changes to the database side on PGV have left me with a currently non-functional package - but that will change!

www.bitweaver.org will give you an insight to the various packages available and one simply installs the ones you want - and add others or create your own later. My object with relation to the family tree stuff is to be able to drop links into other documents which could be wiki/blog/board or what ever. bitweaver provides a content management layer which works for me.

• Wes Groleau

Wes Groleau - 2009-09-30

I put my "narratives" and transcripts in Nucleus CMS, and have long intended to integrate them more with PGV but never have the time.

• John T

John T - 2009-09-30

Thanks for the replies.   I think I'm going to play with the above listed CMS   I know I can play wiht the nuke packages but they seem so overkill.

I did get phpwebsite branches to work.   This may be my ticket still….   I see my 4.22 upgrade of PGV has a lot of new features.   Must explore…

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks