ISP/Host recommendations

Lou Hurst
2008-12-22
2013-05-30
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Lou Hurst

Lou Hurst - 2008-12-22

Without wanting to start any word wars -

I would like to find a new ISP/host.  I currently have a personal site that has PGV and Gallery2 and a small business site with its own domain name but a sub-domain of the personal site.

My current host is getting slower and slower; they recently imposed a 50,000 MySQL query per hour limit on all the shared hosting accounts.  I suspect they want to sell dedicated servers for anyone wanting to utilize a database.

I would like to find a host where I can tweak the PHP config and set up my own database(s) and administer them as I can right now.

On the personal site, something PGV friendly; the business site will fall into place with such a host.

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Lou

• Lou Hurst

Lou Hurst - 2008-12-22

I should be more specific, just need a new web host not a local provider.

• Stew Stronski

Stew Stronski - 2008-12-23

It's pretty hard to recommend any host without knowing your location, etc. But here's a few general rules.

1) The cheapest is rarely the best. Especially for shared hosting.

2) Tech Support. Do they have phone support or are you limited to a ticket system? One way they cut corners with shared hosting is often with reduced tech support. They may have a limited list of applications that they are willing to troubleshoot and will not help you with anything not on that list.

3) Find out EXACTLTY what versions of PHP and MySQL they are running beforehand. Find out the limits on PHP like memory, etc. Shared servers are often retired dedicated servers.

4) Don't get one of those "$XX dollars for one year of unlimited bandwidth" plans. That usually means that they let you have "unlimited" total bandwidth but they limit the speed. Sometimes severely. It also usually means they put too many accounts on each server and your site's responsiveness can be dragged down anytime another site starts using too much bandwidth or server resources. Ask how many accounts they have per server.

5) If they won't give you a straight answer on any of the above, look somewhere else.

• Lou Hurst

Lou Hurst - 2008-12-24

Am in Nebraska, USA.

I went for the low-bid originally so know to avoid that route again.  Local companies want too much for too little though, the least is 39.99/mo for a static, no server resources site.  Then it goes up, and so many of them want to maintain your site too - for a fee.  I feel there must be some companies out there with shared hosting that don't jam each server to the gills and all the other items you mention.  It seems when doing a search the same 10-20 companies come up each time and each has plenty of complaints if you put only minimal effort into researching.  Then I've found little in between the low bid and 29.99/month for a bare bones host.  So am checking around, figuring word of mouth ought to net something.
        Thanks!
        Lou

• Mitar Miric

Mitar Miric - 2008-12-24

Check Bluehost or Dreamhost. In shared hosting both companies are ranked high.

• Wes Groleau

Wes Groleau - 2008-12-29

I use GoDaddy.  In spite of being cheap, they have excellent tech support.  (In other words, you don't get a clueless guy who thinks you are even stupider as seems to be at so many placces).

However, from what I've seen of Bluehost, I would happily switch to them if I weren't broke.  They're only a little bit higher than GoDaddy but the ssh alone would be worth it if I could afford it.

Most places that offer PHP will support it, but most won't support PhpGedView.  But, hey, you get support for that right here!  :-)

• Mitar Miric

Mitar Miric - 2008-12-29

Unlimited space & transfer with 2 yr contract on Godaddy is $13.95
      Unlimited space & transfer with 2 yr contract on Bluehost is $6.95

Bluehost has 2 sister companies fastdomain.com and hostmonster.com and for the same service both are $5.95. Until recently fastdomain was $3.95.

• Wes Groleau

Wes Groleau - 2008-12-30

Yes, I should have mentioned that it's not that Bluehost is more expensive, it's rather that GoDaddy has one option cheaper (and more limited) than any on Bluehost and it happens that this option is currently adequate for me.

But GoDaddy does not offer SSH which I would like very much if my budget could handle the additional cost.

• Anonymous - 2008-12-30

Lou,

I am in the US and use Tigertech.net.  It's the third hosting company I have used (last was Lunarpages) and I have been very impressed with them.  Their site is more geared to technical people and has great freedom to do whatever you need.  Also, their support is wonderful with very knowledgeable email responses inside of 2 hours.   I have had very few service interrupts and am advised by email before it happens.  I have two web sites there, a list server and my email domain.

Rob
      www.skatekey.net

• John Stevenson

John Stevenson - 2008-12-30

Hello All...

A couple of weeks I found a Host site that is incredible!  Unlimited space, bandwidth, databases, email accounts and a very helpful staff.  They will also transfer your site from your old Host to theirs!

All this for $10 a month!!!  Before, I was paying $20 a month for 300 megs of space and no service.

So....check out HostNine.com

John Stevenson

www.conceptsatlantadesign.com

• Techengineer

Techengineer - 2009-01-06

I have been on 1&1 for two years.  Shared hosting Business package for $9.95 a month.  LAMP server.  More than enough MySql 5+ database support and with php 5.2.6.

PHP is not installed as a module in their shared hosting package which limits the amount of tweaking one can do.

I will probably go to their VPS (Virtual Private Server) for $29.95 per month with 512MB ram, oodles of disk space and 100, 100 MByte MySQL databases available.

• Anton Largiader

Anton Largiader - 2009-01-06

One thing I have found unavailable on several hosts is the ability to set multiple SQL permissions levels (this was for a different application). So if you want to enable one user to have read-only, one to have read/insert, another to have full access, you may be disappointed. If you want to set these by table it gets even harder.

Apps like PGV (and Gallery2 I assume) deal with that stuff internally so this might be a non-issue, but if you ever want multiple people editing a database directly it could matter.

One site I manage is on Webmasters.com which only provides one SQL account with full rights. The service itself has been quite reliable but they have a lot of in-house front end stuff that's a bit sketchy, including their spam filters.

My own site is on hostforweb.com. Better SQL options, slightly worse reliability.

• Paul Blair

Paul Blair - 2009-01-08

Does anyone have any comments/experience with awardspace.com? (Germany, I think). Their deals look too good to be true...

Paul
      Australia

• Lou Hurst

Lou Hurst - 2009-08-20

Am resurrecting this post since there are probably some of us that need to move to a different hosting company in the near future.  I for one want to take advantage of the improved reporting in 4.2.2.

Have been doing some checking and found for me that tigertech.net will probably work very well with PGV.  They're not the cheapest but I believe reasonable for shared hosting and after some email exchanges which were answered quite promptly I think I'm moving there.

I am however willing to consider other options and let other users confuse me with facts!

Lou

• Lou Hurst

Lou Hurst - 2009-08-20

Dang it, forgot to say I'm in the US.

Lou

• tthdoc

tthdoc - 2009-08-20

Lou,

You may want to check bluehost.com.  Not sure what other needs you have, but for $1 more a month, you get unlimited bandwidth, unlimited host space, and you can host unlimited domains.  I have never had a problem with them with PGV, as well as other sites I host with them, and support has always been great.

Doc

• tthdoc

tthdoc - 2009-08-20

Lou,

My mistake, bluehost and tigertech both charge the same per month.  But I would do a line by line comparison of the features you get for it.

Doc

• Lou Hurst

Lou Hurst - 2009-08-20

Do you know if you can modify your own php.ini file?  I did some minor tweaks on mine at my current host.  Tigertech allows that too.  Thanx.

Lou

• Mitar Miric

Mitar Miric - 2009-08-20

<<Do you know if you can modify your own php.ini file? >>
        Yes, you can.

• tthdoc

tthdoc - 2009-08-20

Lou,

Absolutely, I have modified the php.ini files many times with bluehost.

Doc

• Thomas52

Thomas52 - 2009-08-20

All said & done: Lunarpages.com - fair price, good value, top support, many extras.

• potain

potain - 2009-08-25

Hi Thomas52

I'm looking for a new host too but I am in Australia.

Had a look at Lunarpages.com. Can you tell me which plan you went for ? There's one for $2.95 US per mth with 5GB storage and 50GB bandwith but only 1 MySQL database. Is this the one you chose?

Thanks

Jean

• potain

potain - 2009-08-25

Hi Thomas52

I'm looking for a new host too but I am in Australia.

Had a look at Lunarpages.com. Can you tell me which plan you went for ? There's one for $2.95 US per mth with 5GB storage and 50GB bandwith but only 1 MySQL database. Is this the one you chose?

Thanks

Jean

• Lou Hurst

Lou Hurst - 2009-08-26

Sorry didn't get back in on this sooner, I went with bluehost.com.  Don't know if that's an option for you in Australia.  Didn't know one could have so much flexibility in configuring their account on a shared server.  Last night tried a fresh/new install of 4.2.2, Imported my gedcom, everything so far is working perfectly - well except for the two gig of media I need to upload - guess I'll hit the upload button before going to bed tonight . . .

Anyway, iPower.com is one hosting company to put on the don't use list.  I won't bad mouth them per se, but PGV 4.2.2 won't work there.  Between a 50,000 query and/or write per hour limit on mysql and no plans to support PDO, there's no use looking at them.

Lou

• gungholady

gungholady - 2009-10-16

I checked out the bluehost.com website. Couldn't find anything about the php memory limit. Can anyone tell me if there is a memory limit for php? Is there a limit on size for the import of the mysql databases?

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks