LDS Family Search

• macalter

macalter - 2010-01-26

I came across results using the Family Search on the LDS (Church of Latter-day Saints) website. Wondering how others did the Source/citation for such records. I have the Compact Disc#, Pin#, Submitted by name and the Submission Search#, no date found. Not sure what I should use for Source and citation detail and/or text.

• Greg Roach

Greg Roach - 2010-01-26

If the record has an AFN number, then there is an AFN field you can use.  This will automatically generate a link to the LDS website.

For other pages, I just use the URL of the LDS record page as the citation, and copy/paste the page into the source-text field.  This minimises the risk of creating typos.

I always regard LDS seach results with the same suspicion as any other web-search result.  I also have a source of "Web" which I use in a similar fashion - record the URL as the citation and copy/paste the page into the text field.

In any case, I treat these secondary sources as lists of "things to do" - i.e. track down the primary source myself.

• Victor H.

Victor H. - 2010-01-29

I have to second Greg's response. I have found so much misinformation on LDS FamilySearch over the years that I don't even use it as a secondary source any more.

• Robert Shaw

Robert Shaw - 2010-01-30

FamilySearch has both junky and useful data in it.  To use it one must pay attention to the source information given.  The results initially listed are grouped under type of source.  The "census" groups are generally reliable; the "Ancestral File" and "Pedigree Resource File" are just opinions (often wildly naive); they have large quantities of junk.  The IGI is a mix of the same junky sort of stuff and generally reliable stuff from vital records and such.  With the IGI, you must examine the "Messages" section on the individual record page; if it says something like "Extracted record…" then it may well be worth pursuing.  If it says "submitted by…" it's just more randomish opinion.

• Anonymous - 2010-01-31

Not sure what I should use for Source and citation detail and/or text.

Its hard to give a specific answer, but as a general principle I believe you should enter adequate details to allow you, in (say) ten years time to go and find the same data with ease.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks