Limiting data on the Indi page

2009-12-20
2013-05-30
  • David Richmond

David Richmond - 2009-12-20

The 'Personal Facts and Details' on the Indi page can become a little busy and I thought it might be an idea to introduce a toggle switch (like 'Show all Notes') to produce a more basic look? One view would show all data; the other, for example, just bmd (which could be set up as an array in the configuration options as 'Which facts to always show on Indi page). Hiding 2nd to 5th notes and sources could be built into the same option. Probably have to disable editing while in the basic view. Any thoughts?

• Thomas52

Thomas52 - 2009-12-20

Under the menu, go to "Tracker" & "Feature Requests" - You'll also see comments under the individual Feature Requests.  There are a LOT of requests & suggestions, but a limit on our volunteers'  time, so unless you know some programming…

• Greg Roach

Greg Roach - 2009-12-20

You could go through all the events you don't want to show, and set the privacy level for these to "show only to users/editors".  This way, visitors would get the simple view, and those with access or edit rights would see them all.

To disable tabs in a similar way, wait a couple of weeks.  There is some (very nice) new tabs and configuration coming.  It will be in SVN as soon as the next release is out of the way.

• David Richmond

Thanks Greg. I look forward to this with interest.
    Just to clarify though. The primary intention for this feature was not one of privacy but perhaps clarity. I just felt that when faced with a large number of events on an indi page that it would be useful to have a more basic viewing option.
    Anyway, I've added a session variable to the config_gedcom.php and added a little bit of code to individual.ctrl  (about line 1361) that seems to work ok. I'll look at setting a cookie to remember the setting though I have no idea where to start! Keeps me busy. :-)

$disp_fact=false;

foreach (explode(',', $INDI_FACTS_BASIC) as $basic_fact) {

if ($value->getTag() == $basic_fact) $disp_fact = true;

}

• David Richmond

Ended up copying the 'contextual help' routine and adding the viewing option to the menbar. Not pretty; but it works. :-)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks